Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about PNW LFers get together....in WA or BC or both ?

Re: How about PNW LFers get together....in WA or BC or both ?

Olympic Peninsula or Cascades would be fun, but I think the meeting place should be away from the road, and off the trail.

Map and compass required.

Two-night stay in the woods also mandatory – rain, sleet, hail, snow, fog, wind, or shine.

(Just a few ideas to weed-out any PNW landscape pretenders.)

Re: How about PNW LFers get together....in WA or BC or both ?

You might add Port Townsend on the North Olympic Peninsula to the spots under consideration. Fort Worden State Park (at the official entrance of Puget Sound) has accommodations (the remodeled barracks and Officers Row), the really massive early-20th century concrete fortifications on Artillery Hill, and a nice lighthouse. Downtown has all those store buildings from the 1880's, and Uptown is chock full of Victorian homes. The marina has boats, of course, and there is a small aviation museum out at the local airport. Lots of restaurants in PT also. You can even stay in hotels downtown that were bordellos back in the Victorian era. Olympic National Park (and Hurricane Ridge) are only about an hour's drive from PT. For the really adventurous, you can even stay in the "Officer and A Gentleman" suite at the Tides Inn where they filmed the motel scenes--and the suite has a copy of the movie on hand if you wish to watch it. The nearby Bay View Restaurant (next to the ferry terminal) serves a breakfast big enough to keep you photographing all day. In addition, PT is, in my opinion, the most convenient location I know for photography. In fact, it's right outside my front door.

Keith