Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

  1. #11
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
    Hey I thought 2D's were always made by cherry . I owned one, and my friends have 3. All are 8x10 with cherry. I never seen a 2D with mahogany .
    I purchased your 12" Dagor to make portraits on this camera.

  2. #12
    Cogito, ergo sum
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hanoi - Vietnam
    Posts
    265

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    It will be great for your 5x7 .
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

  3. #13
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Ken Lee, I just realized I've been to your website numerous times lately for tech guidance.

  4. #14
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Cleaning my brass was difficult. I read a blog about soaking it in Pure Ammonia for 1 hour. I soaked mine for 4 hours and still didn't come off easily. After that, I boiled the brass in vinegar (all I could find here was brown rice vinegar) for about 5 min. Both of those processes loosened some of the grime. I then followed that with letting each piece sit in ketchup for 30-45 min. I used a brass metal brush to scrub when I needed to get difficult spots and a car wash sponge elsewhere. I then scrubbed the pieces down with a heavy baking soda mixed with water paste. Finally, I used another paste made with Bar Keeper's Friend to polish it. Final step was to wash in a water bath and then dry.

    1. 4 hour Pure Ammonia bath (I've never been able to find pure ammonia in Korea, but luckily found one at an American import store on 40% clearance sale)
    2. 5 min. bath in boiling vinegar
    3. Soaked in ketchup for 30-45 min.
    4. Scrubbed with baking soda paste (water + baking soda ~1:1)
    5. Polished with Bar Keeper's Friend Paste (water + Bar Keeper's Friend ~1:10) - international buyers can find this on the auction site for $3-4 + $10 shipping (took about 2 weeks to arrive)
    6. Water Bath, then dry

    I have no idea if this is kosher or not for the brass. I read about how to use various household items to clean and polish brass. I found after a few attempts that this method worked for me.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    4,585

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Could it be that the Model 2 was cherry, while the 2D was mahagony? (The "D" meaning dark finish.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

  6. #16
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    My camera says 2-D and could very well be mahagony (like it's original finish). When sanded down, it's a cherry sort of color to it. I assumed mahagony was darker. I don't know a lot about woods. It was my first project dealing with wood.

  7. #17
    Roger Thoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, Flagstaff AZ
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    My camera says 2-D and could very well be mahagony (like it's original finish). When sanded down, it's a cherry sort of color to it. I assumed mahagony was darker. I don't know a lot about woods. It was my first project dealing with wood.
    Unfinished mahogany and cherry have a similar color. Mahogany has a more open grain and is a little denser and heavier than cherry. It is also a little harder.

    Sounds like your project is coming along. The brass must have been a lot of work, would be cools to see some pictures, must look very nice. On my WP 2D I cleaned a few areas of the brass where it was heavily discolored but just enough to match the patina of the rest. That was quite a bit of work, can't imagine doing all of it.

    Roger

  8. #18
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Unfinished mahogany and cherry have a similar color. Mahogany has a more open grain and is a little denser and heavier than cherry. It is also a little harder.

    Sounds like your project is coming along. The brass must have been a lot of work, would be cools to see some pictures, must look very nice. On my WP 2D I cleaned a few areas of the brass where it was heavily discolored but just enough to match the patina of the rest. That was quite a bit of work, can't imagine doing all of it.

    Roger
    I'll get more pictures up next week. Brass is finished, but I individually wrapped and labeled all the piece groups with their matching screws. Even the piece groups had different size screws! I knew if I did them all together it would be difficult for me to regroup them. Between doing this in our apartment with a 3 year old and working in it in my office, I've been really lucky to not have any pieces missing. A few screws fell into the sink and almost lost them, but I managed to grab them before they fell down the drain into oblivion.

    Thank you very much for you description of the different woods.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    7,817

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project




    As shown in the above photo, Kodak 2D cameras have 2 rail sections: one in front which is attached to the base and folds up - and another in the rear which detaches. There is a nice old catalog illustration here.

    If we're using only short lenses, we don't need to attach the rear rail section. That feature can make the camera more compact and portable. A lens can be kept on the camera: just fold the front up for transport. It's a very clever design: a folding rail camera.


  10. #20
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post



    As shown in the above photo, Kodak 2D cameras have 2 rail sections: one in front which is attached to the base and folds up - and another in the rear which detaches. There is a nice old catalog illustration here.

    If we're using only short lenses, we don't need to attach the rear rail section. That feature can make the camera more compact and portable. A lens can be kept on the camera: just fold the front up for transport. It's a very clever design: a folding rail camera.

    The rear rail attachment was missing in mine. I am searching for one, even though I probably won't be able to find one soon.

Similar Threads

  1. 8x10 Eastman 2D Full Restoration - Input Please
    By Fragomeni in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2010, 03:11
  2. Linhof Karden restoration project
    By John E in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2009, 13:22

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •