Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manfrotto 405 geared head, satisfactory for 8x10?

Re: Manfrotto 405 geared head, satisfactory for 8x10?

That's great information on the 410 head. I'm not surprised it's right at home with Tony's 8x10 canham but I'm impressed that Welly had a cambo 8x10 on his. That's either 20 or 24 lbs, depending on which one it is, and that's without a lens, holder, and wind.

Had my Zone VI 8x10 on a 410 and I didn't like it at all. Too wobbly for my taste. Now using Ries heads on my J and A tripods. yymv, as always
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Hey Fred,

I did really enjoy my time with my(former) Ries tripod+head. However, it was too heavy FOR ME to tote around all the time, not to mention a bit too long to just "toss in the back" of my small car(well, current car at this time, see my other thread asking about vehicles for photo/all purpose in the Lounge)

Thought about getting another Ries head to use on my Gitzo CF tripod, not sure yet. Seen some others who've done it, but almost sure I want a fully-geared head from now on.

-Dan

I have a 410. It's an excellent head for use with a 4x5 field camera, but it's not stable enough (for me) with an 8x10 field camera. Why go to all of the work and expense of shooting 8x10 and then use a head that's not suited to it? Get a Gitzo series 5 rational 3-way head, a Ries head, or another one meant for use with an 8x10.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

well I already have a 3-way #5 Gitzo head, but its almost as heavy as the sticks alone

hence looking for something a bit more compact, and geared

-Dan

There are newer magnesium versions of the Gitzo heads, but they won't save a tremendous amount of weight, nor are they geared. I'm not sure that going for a super light support system with an 8x10 is all that wise, but you know your situation much better than I do.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Hey Peter,

I'm not after a "featherweight" 8x10 system. But I do want rugged and sturdy. But not super heavy/bulky if possible.
    Most of my LF photography has been within 100yds of the car/road since I started with LF, and I want to change that . Get out more, and go farther. Hence going with a lighter/more portable camera(something that can fit into a backpack), and smaller/lighter lenses than what I currently have. I've been mirroring others equipment, and after really considering how/what I want to photograph and how I want to go about doing it, smaller/lighter/easily portable/stowable is important for me.

This geared head would be used for ALL of my equipment, D800/F6(longest lens being a 180mm)-->8x10 Arca(longest lens being a 24" RDA).

One tripod + one(maybe two, not sure if a ballhead still works for me) head for every format I want to shoot. I'm working to "simplify" my life, and only own equipment I use, not because I think I might want to use it "some day". So buying something quality and built "tough" is what I'm after. Simply because I plan to USE it, not look at it set up .

-Dan

A series 5 head just doesn't seem very bulky or heavy to me. There's always Series 3. I have one of those too, and If I had to chose between it and a 410 for an 8x10, I'd choose the Gitzo.

You might make an offer on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-3-Way...item3f20a00053, although you'd be pushing it with 8x10. Perhaps a used Arca B2?

I stopped in at samys camera in Orange County this afternoon, while waiting to have some film developed at my E6 lab. I stopped at the counter while therr and ask the guy about the Manfrotto heads, the 405 and the 410. I was able to look at them both of them, and get a feel for both in the hand. The 405 is certainly much bigger, and the knobs are definitely nicer in the hand. The 410 is too small frankly.

Neither left me feeling "satisfied" with what I saw, frankly. The 405 might be able to hold the 8x10, certainly a 4x5, but the 8x10 might be stretching it a bit.

Just wish the Arca Cube and the Linhof Micro head were 1/2 their current cost, I might be more enticed to hold out for either of those after saving a bit longer.

Dan

Um....yep!