Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defend the Darkroom revisited

Defend the Darkroom revisited

Is anyone trying to set up a living Darkroom that will survive them? Schools seem to be giving up. How do we save a working Darkroom for 100 years. After that I cannot imagine. I found the 2007 thread about Ilford's 'Defend the Darkroom.' Anything else in the works?
    Tin Can

Re: Defend the Darkroom revisited

Maybe someone wealthy enough to not only contribute the gear to a college or university art department, but also create and fund a large permanent endowment to that department with the stipulation that all proceeds from the funding and interest must go only for that use. Could a clause be created defaulting such a fund back to the creator's estate if it were mishandled?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

That's the idea. I wonder if anyone is trying. Has this been discussed?
    Tin Can

Come to NYC and visit the School at ICP (International Center of Photography). It is, by far, the nicest traditional facility I have ever seen in my entire life. The darkrooms are huge and plentiful with separate rooms for film processing, general lab work and printing. Everything is state of the art and there is no doubt that the facility will outlive me (and I'm 45).

The students who go there are shooting both film and digital with a good percentage falling in love with film every year. I have taught students of all ages how to not only shoot a large format camera, but also how to develop their negatives and print from them - and often times these are kids who have never shot a frame of film before this class. Their excitement is beyond anything I've ever seen.

Well that is good to hear! Made my day. I thought most institutions have given up and are simply dumping their equipment before jumping ship. I have just retired and have been busy building a large private darkroom. It is in an art's building where artists own their condo live/work spaces. As I have no heir, I have been wondering how to preserve my end of life efforts, after I am gone.

I am not alone, my building has 3 Pro digital photographers and many filmmakers, and I have several residents wanting to use my darkroom. Which is not quite finished, as I am handicapped and slow at construction. But helpers are here every day.

Only yesterday, I met a couple people outside my door. They were investigating the area for their daughter. Seems the daughter will be renting next to me and does Tintypes. I could not believe my ears. Good news surely.

I am located in Chicago. My building is, Bloomingdale Art's Building and we have been here 10 years. A documentary was made of our 'struggles.' Do not believe everything you read on the the web about us.

As I am an Alumnus of Chicago's School of the Art Institute, I plan to approach them. However a recent review of their website indicates they consider chemical photography beyond obsolete. Maybe they will want a remote site, next to the newest Chicago park.

Now I must prepare space for the Calumet 8x10 enlarger being installed tomorrow.

As they say,

Cheers!
    Tin Can

Teach your kids.

I guess you did not read what I wrote. I have no heir, children, wife, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Teach your kids.
    Tin Can

About 6 months ago the communications department at one of the local colleges was moving into another smaller building on campus. They advertised they were selling all the darkroom equipment. I went to see what was available that I might use. Speaking with the department chair, she told me that with the advent of digital they hadn't had a class in film photography or anyone use their darkrooms in over three years. The darkrooms were being converted into classrooms. All of the darkroom equipment had to go either by selling it or sending it to the landfill. They were taking all offers on the equipment. I seemed to be the only person that came and her husband teamed up with me to help sort trash/treasure. I already have an outfitted darkroom so a lot of stuff was of no interest. I did find a few things that were useful. It made me sad to know that the final resting place was going to be the dump for a lot of the equipment. Some colleges are moving to digital now and literally dumping darkroom equipment so defending the darkroom is like jousting with windmills.

I teach at a 4-year university in Oklahoma and we still teach a basic darkroom class and a view camera class. I can't imagine not having this as a part of our curriculum. Our students shoot digital, but it does them good to "get their hands wet." Teaches them to slow down and think about what they are shooting.

A short update. I had a rough stint and the darkroom has stalled, but not stopped. I took the physical downtime to better organize my portrait studio and remove all extraneous objects. Old console stereo, 1948 TV, that sort of debris, as I need to carefully use every inch and only have room for photography. Built the corner bed, that every mad scientist needs in his lab, and made half the kitchen, old camera storage. I used to motorcycle camp. I can live on little with little. I guess I am the guy eating rice and beans in order to better feed my obsession.
    Tin Can