Thread: Wista 5x7 back

Wista 5x7 back

I was wondering if the Wista 5x7 conversion back will work on a 45SP. I understand that it's wood and B&H lists it as being for the wood field models. If it will work has anyone had experience with it? Bob?

Wista 5x7 back

I own a Wista 5x7 conversion back specifically for the Wista metal fields (I own a SP). My understanding is that this back is not the same as that for the wood fields. I've heard that the back for the metal fields is a discontinued item, but I'm not sure about that. I use mine occasionally and find it useful, but somewhat limiting. See a discussion of the pluses and minuses of a 5x7 conversion back at:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/tachihara.html

All the comments regarding the Tachihara back apply to the Wista back.

Wista 5x7 back

We have sold several without having any complaints. But your camera still only has 12" of extension unless you add one of the extended tracks and bellows or the Extension Lensboard you may find that you won't have enough bellows.

Wista 5x7 back

Bob and Mark,

My Wista 4x5 to 5x7 conversion/extension back for the SP adds several inches of extension, but since the extension is a cone joining the 5x7 back to a roughly 5x5 square, long lenses vignette. My recollection is that a 300 mm lens vignettes. I use mine only with a 210 and 135mm lens. Shorter or longer lenses posed the problems outlined in the above referenced web site.

Wista 5x7 back

I had one for a long time for my Wista Field 45. I never went longer than 210 mm, but amazingly my Fuji 90 mm covered the whole thing. Couldn't make any movements, but what the heck, you sure could see a lot.

Wista 5x7 back

So there is a 5x7 specifically for the SP. Bob is it discontinued as Linas has stated? I do own the extension rail and bellows as mentioned so that isn't a problem. Thanks again.

Wista 5x7 back

Yes, it is no longer available and we no longer have an. Only the Cherry wood ones are available.

Wista 5x7 back

Thanks. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay.

Re: Wista 5x7 back

This is an old thread, but wondering if anyone else has experience putting the Wista metal 5x7 conversion back onto a Wista 45SP or other metal Wista 4x5 field camera.

Specially wondering about the longest focal length usable. Above the person said 300 but other snippets I found on the web have people complaining about using 180 and 210 lenses. Perhaps it depends but any more details would be helpful.