Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Are We Here ?

Re: Why Are We Here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    To teach those who know less than we, and to learn from those who know more.

- Leigh
    Nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSperry View Post
    If he hadn't someone else would have...
    Others have. None are/were anywhere near as good. None are/were long-lived, non-commercial and frequented by large format photographers who know what they're talking about.

...If this board disappeared overnight. There would be a viable message board devoted to LF that could easily take its place...
    Why wait? Why not start your own now and get a head start?

...I don't know the history of this board specifically...
    Clearly you don't. You can increase your knowledge at this page:

...Initial investment for boards such as this one were free for the taking, in essence...
    There's nothing free about this forum except one pays no monetary charge to be a member. Tuan, Tom Westbrook and the moderators pay a price with their time. Brian Reid bears the expense of serving it, both bandwidth and hardware.

For someone who's been here less than one year, you have a lot to say about things, e.g. your recent posts directed at Kirk. I suggest doing more listening and research than "sharing" for a while.

If he hadn't . . . someone else would have.
    There is a big difference between "should have", "would have" and "did". Ifs with would in the pluperfect subjunctive don't amount to much in this life.

I wish I could tell you I love you
    I wish that he weren’t always on my mind
    If wishes were fast trains to texas
    I’d ride and I’d ride, how I’d ride

(Emmy Lou Harris, "I'l be your San Antone Rose."

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I will try this rdenny's way. He said that the mods should handle you, let's see if he is up to his word.
    No, and since you've made the conversation public: I said that it is not your job to police the forum. If you have a complaint, report it. But don't comment about it publicly, which magnifies the problem instead of diminishing it.

That applies to everyone.

The forum guidelines say:

Generally speaking, in responding to a posting, try to respond only to the content of the thread and not to the individual.
    Here's what that means: Please stop looking for reasons to throw poo at each other. If you must throw poo, throw it on what was written when you disagree with it, not on the person writing it.

In the realm of personal attack, this seems to me too petty to bother with deleting anything. This is the sort of thing that adults should just laugh off.

I've had several people make very personal attacks in my direction, particularly since I have assumed moderator duties. Goes with the territory, I guess. What was my response? "Whatever." Which, by the way, I kept to myself. Not worth the ink to argue it, and I have nothing to prove in any case. I recommend that approach.

Rick "now, behave" Denney

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Why Are We Here ?

People tell me: behave your self

But i was Behaving like myself....
    through a glass darkly...

I deleted my original response to Leigh's baiting post. I have reported his post. I'm letting you mods handle it like you said you would.
    Reminds me of a scene in the movie Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius. In the scene, Jones (a lawyer who was always an amateur as a golfer) was approached by client who wanted to sue someone else because that other person had told him to "go to Hell." Lawyer Jones, who was wise, told him that he thought he should just forget it.

Client: "But he told me to go to Hell!"

Jones: "I checked the law on that, and you don't have to go."

If you want me or another mod to come interpose myself in every mutual whine that looks to me like it was baited in the first place, I will. (It may result in more than deletions, however.) But it would be much better if those involved would apologize, shake hands, and move on.

Yes, that's the way we handled such things on the elementary school playground, but that place is striking a resonant chord these days.

Rick "who would rather have the title 'moderator' than 'grownup'" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    To teach those who know less than we, and to learn from those who know more.

- Leigh
    Well said. Both of those sentiments are often fraught with difficulty.

(Uh-oh, I just noticed the rdenney page 3 crusade. I guess nobody will read this. )

Perhaps it is best to not think about why we do things. Is it not sufficient to just do these things?

When I was very young my interests in life centered on literature and philosophy. Not persuaded by my personal theoistic education one of the central questions of my life was why? Back then, before I knew much of anything, I thought all that had been cleared up after I read René Descarte's Discourse on the Method, where he wrote "Cogito ergo sum" (French: Je pense, donc je suis; English: I think, therefore I am).

I have never found a better reason for explaining why any of us do the things we do, or for that matter, "why we are here."

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have never found a better reason for explaining why any of us do the things we do, or for that matter, "why we are here."
    We're all here because we aren't all there.

(Do not underestimate the power of the ... crazy side! It's on nitrous and helium, after all...)

Brian "I got myself a square tuit because I could never get a round one" Miller
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    ...I think, therefore I am...
    I am, therefore I think.