Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear spray.

Re: Bear spray.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Sorry about the painting with a broad brush, but I am still way beyond sensitive about being the subject of corporal assault for having California license plates. The kind of meth fueled, right wing, xenophobia exhibited in central Idaho only makes it a more dangerous place for everyone, and not because of the wildlife. Yeah, not even a little bit funny.
    Please don't take it out on me if you had a bad experience in Idaho, but Stanley and Sun Valley are non-typical for Idaho and probably voted along the same lines as you, heck Sun Valley is mostly made up of Californians.

And Greg, please don't mistake me as aggressive, but I've had to throw stones at a bear three times, the same bear, from about 15 feet, deep in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. I still rarely carry pepper spray, but hey if it makes a person feel secure, why not? I never bring a GPS or personal beacon and a cell phone wouldn't work even if I owned one. Please don't get political on me, I can understand your stereo-type for Idaho, but I think you'd be surprised if you knew me.

John, when I first spotted the bear, it was right after pulling my head out from under the darkcloth and looking behind me. Maybe, with their poor vision I looked like five legged bear! He was swimming across the river about forty yards above me and for a split second I thought about swinging the camera around and trying to get a shot of him. The light was fading, and I remembered that I hadn't hung my food in a tree yet, big mistake. He almost beat me back to camp, I had to stop and try to pelt rocks, I had two torn rotator cuffs and was throwing like a three year old. It was frustrating, painful and funny at the same time.
    Last edited by Thad Gerheim; 13-Jan-2013 at 19:29.
    Thad Gerheim

Abuser of God's Sunlight

There have been black bear attacks in Teton National Park. The grizzly population there is low, and mostly in the far northern areas. Black bear behavior has inspired many local climbers and hikers to bring spray. I never have while there, but may in the future. An encounter last summer left me banging my ice axe into rocks and singing obnoxiously for fifteen miles, so I wouldn't surprise anyone else's mother.

I did bring spray on a two week trip to the Cirque of the Towers in the Wind River range a few years ago. That place has been a grizzly circus some seasons. But we didn't see any sign of bears the entire time.

Bear spray is very much like a dive knife, you should always carry it.
    They are both used in the same fashion, if you see a great white you use your knife to stab your dive buddy and swim away.
    If you see a grizzly you spray your hiking buddy in the eyes and run away.

On a serious note, I always carry it. I spend alot of time in grizz country and a gun is not always an option.
    As Thad and a couple of others have expressed, common sense is the best defence.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I never take any encounter with a bear lightly, black or grizzly. I try to always carry bear spray and, while I haven't had to use it, I have been very close on a few occasions.

I have to add that some of the responses on this thread are showing a real lack of respect for these animals.
    That's a good point. Sorry for making light of a serious subject.

I'd recommend reading: Bear Attacks, their causes and avoidance, by Stephen Herrerro

And always check local postings and speak with local rangers about animal sightings and recommended best practices before venturing out...

(Shrek)

Crap, I thought the thread was about a beer spray. Now there's a product that could be useful while hiking.

I thought it was going to be a thread about the right to arm bears.

Steve.

Les

While on the subject, and this may be to John K., did you have any issues going through the border with a can or two of the spray ? I shall be embarking on an adventure to Alaska this Summer.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Well, the other rule is to never travel alone. Then you don't need to outrun the bear, only your partner.
    This is gold!

I got fancied once, unwantedly so, by a large hairy man - also called bears, whilst walking past a gay bar once

I think it is illegal to even check the spray in your luggage on a plane.