Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Drum Scanners: Upgrade from Howtek 4500 to Heidelberg Tango?

Re: Drum Scanners: Upgrade from Howtek 4500 to Heidelberg Tango?

I took a photomicrograph (200x) of group 6 and 7 of the latest batch of Silverfast targets:

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

It seems a little worse. Any samples with the scanner?

Plenty. Please find one of the samples below.

Heidelberg Tango
    New Color
    Aperture -5
    Resolution (Factor x Resolution) 11kdpi
    Scan as negative
    No sharpening
    No post treatment

How to read the sample? Click here.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

If I am reading this correctly the resolution is not even 4000 dpi. But I don't think the issue here is the target. I would double-check the focus using pieces of 1 mil overlays.

In any case, if the scanner smallest aperture is 10 microns then that's as good as you gonna' get.

Looking forward to seeing the results (and scans) of others ;-)

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Sure. Here's one from a Howtek scanner using Silverfast's target. 8K dpi native. No adjustments of any kind, of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target-8K.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	150515

Same image interpolated to 11K dpi, for comparison purpose only.

Name:	Target-8K-interpolated-to-11K.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	150516

I bought a Tango which arrived earlier this week. I haven't played with it much to know if this is best I can resolve but posting a Tango vs Scanmate 11000 resolution comparison as a FYI. Both were dry mounted. Will repost if I am able to resolve more resolution from the Tango.

Both scanned at 11000 DPI.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by sdzsdz View Post
    Hi! Iīm glad if I can help. But it seems that I have to make the workflow a bit clearer.

1. Assign an it8 profile to positive and negative scans in the profile manager:

DSC_1743 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

2. use LAB and 16 bit TIFF in the Scan-Setup, hit the negative tab in the scanning setup first and then disable any adjustments in the colour assistant by unchecking this small box that is named "Colour Assistant". Use 0 and 5 for Highlights and Shadows:

DSC_1744 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

DSC_1745 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

(You can save these adjusments to a preset on the left upper corner of the program. I made myself a preset for negatives and positives taht are nearly the same despite of the one with the negative button hit, the other with the positive button hit.)

Now you will get a raw (positive, no inversion) scan of your BW or colournegative without any visible sharpening. For positive scans I use exactly the same workflow BUT I hit the positive button in the scanning setup. But that maybe obsolete because the scans are now the same. I never tried. But I get no sharpening issue in positive scans either so I donīt think of it any more. Maybe the most important part is to completely disable the color assistant.

3. Important: Convert to RGB and Prophoto colour space in Photoshop before you do anything. And now you can use different ways to convert your negatives in PS. I use the above described for colour negatives and nearly the same for BW. It works best for me. In my oppinion the files are excellent and have a phantastic tonal range and accuracy to work with them.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Sebastian
    Hi Sebastian,

I am trying to follow these steps with my own IT8 profile and am unable to get positive scans in the negative mode. I am using Newcolor 2.5.7 on Mac and even after turning off the Color Assistant (including [A] icon) I get inverted previews and scans. Would it be possible for you to share your profile that I can try this with?

Regards,

Pali

Answering my own question which I get asked via PM occasionally. I did finally figure out how to scan negatives as positives with no USM and I follow these steps to do so using Newcolor 7000. Hopefully this helps anyone else looking at this thread for the same answer I was when I first got my Tango. BTW, I use the same method for scanning slides with USM completely turned off. This is as RAW a scan you can get from Newcolor 7000 software.

Here are the steps to make sure you are scanning negatives as positives with sharpness turned off.

1. From Scan - Special Scanner Functions: Set Negative USM to No USM

2. Set your positive profile for negative scans

DO THE FOLLOWING EACH TIME YOU NEED TO SCAN NEGATIVES BEFORE PRESCAN.
    ** You can save this as custom settings so you can simply toggle from the drop drown list without having to remember each of these settings below.

3. Select Negative scanning icon from the top list and select Color from the Mode. I also scan in RGB ProPhoto profile but that is upto you.

4. Uncheck the [A] on the 2nd tab under Color Assistant

5. Uncheck the check boxes in boxes labeled 1 first, 2 second, and 3 last - This order is very important. At the end, you should have everything unchecked.

From this point forward, you can prescan and scan as normal. You should get a positive scan of your negative in both the preview window and the file you save.

Pali

I haven't been able to use my scanner for a while but recently I've tried your tipps on Portra 400. The results are just lousy, something is still completely off:

I've scanned it in Lab with switched profiles and without any Newcolor/Colorperfect adjustments (density 0-5) - sharpening is turned off - that worked:

Name:	Newcolor_raw.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	185636

But the results cannot be altered in photoshop in any acceptable way, I converted them to RGB in the Pro color space:

Name:	Newcolor.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	185635

(left is converted in PS; right scanned with the regular negative functionality of Newcolor in RGB/Adobe 1998 color space)

What am I missing? Thank you!