Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drum Scanners: Upgrade from Howtek 4500 to Heidelberg Tango?

Re: Drum Scanners: Upgrade from Howtek 4500 to Heidelberg Tango?

I'd rather have a Howtek or Premier any day. I have discovered that the autofocus needs to be checked regularly, it's the reason some of my tests were off. The wear pads on the drums need to be changed out. When those two items are in place these scanners can't be beat.

Of course, all of the top machines require regular maintenance every couple of years. Without a maintenance of both machines within a certain period of time, new materials, like wear pads, experts in both software, it is impossible to make a fair comparison. Lack of detail in the shadow areas could easily be a weak PMT in one of the channels. One simply can NOT say that one drum scanner vs another has more detail (or more noise) in any area.

We have to remember that there are 2 types of issues. There are things that are larger than the diffusion pattern on an inkjet printer, and those that aren't. Many of the times we are looking at an image at 100% and saying this scan has more this or that, the distinctions are below the resolution level of the printing technology.

I would posit that all drum scanners can create files that are excellent for printing. They all create files that on any given day might exceed each other. My experience with a Tango wasn't as good as Tim's but the scanner wasn't tuned by Karl.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    At the end of the day though I'd be happy with the Howtek if I was an amateur for a couple of reasons, 1) you can get them very cheap 2) they're light enough to move around easily 3) easy to mount and don't spin stupidly fast (which can cause it's own problems if you cock up a mount - think shredded celluloid).
    This is very true; I got a 4500 with three drums, mounting station, spare parts, chemicals, tape, cellophane, wipes, SCSI card, DPL 7.8, the works, for a neat $1000.

Also, on one of my first 4500 scans, the plastic sheet came loose from the drum (not enough tape overlap) and two of the 4x5's went flying out, along with a lot of flapping noise. Amazingly, no significant damage to the negatives. The scans probably take longer than with a faster drum, but I'm not in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I'd rather have a Howtek or Premier any day. I have discovered that the autofocus needs to be checked regularly, it's the reason some of my tests were off. The wear pads on the drums need to be changed out. When those two items are in place these scanners can't be beat.
    By the way, how do you tell if your drum pads need to be replaced? Do you use a micrometer to compare the thickness of old vs new?

I have a zillion extra pads from the previous owner, but I can't see any difference between the new pads and the ones on my drums so I haven't changed them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    By the way, how do you tell if your drum pads need to be replaced? Do you use a micrometer to compare the thickness of old vs new?

I have a zillion extra pads from the previous owner, but I can't see any difference between the new pads and the ones on my drums so I haven't changed them yet.
    I'd change them every few months... It's their responsiveness and stretch capability. Ones that are too old do not bounce back, they feel kind of flat...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Still Developing

... Without a maintenance of both machines within a certain period of time, new materials, like wear pads, experts in both software, it is impossible to make a fair comparison. Lack of detail in the shadow areas could easily be a weak PMT in one of the channels. One simply can NOT say that one drum scanner vs another has more detail (or more noise) in any area.
    Both machines were serviced about 3 months before the test

I would posit that all drum scanners can create files that are excellent for printing. They all create files that on any given day might exceed each other. My experience with a Tango wasn't as good as Tim's but the scanner wasn't tuned by Karl.
    I have seen that various scanners need good servicing to get the most of out them. For instance, one of the best scanners I've seen used is the Imacon. A photographer in Europe sent some of his scans to me and they were as good as my drum scanners apart in everything apart from some pattern noise. Then again, every other Imacon scan I've seen has been pretty poor..

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Would somebody be willing to share the secret to turn off sharpening when using Newcolor? They deactivated my Yahoo-account and I don't want to create a new account...

Thank you!

Hi Georg,

quoting Rafael from the Tango-Primescan-Group:

Hi there,

I and Derin Korman have been making quite a number of tests during the last week and we have reached some really nice conclusions about the use of Newcolor (Mac) for scanning both negatives and transparencies.

Basically, as many of your know, one of the problems of Newcolor is (was?) the impossibility to scan without a certain amount of sharpening applied "behind your back". On the other hand, many of us want to scan as raw as possible, making conversions (inversions for negatives) later on on Photoshop.

Well, basically there is a workaround way to "fool" Newcolor.
    The instructions to do so are:

1) Make custom profiles for positives. Hutch target recommended.
    2) In Scan - Special Functions - Sharpening, make sure you have NO Sharpening for NEGATIVES. This is the important bit. newcolor does not apply ANY sharpening for NEGATIVES when you select here no sharpening at all. However, even if you click on the box "reduced sharpening for transparencies", you will always get a certain amount... Read further and you will understand the implications of this.
    2) Scan negatives by selecting "negative" in the scan setup, but making sure you have NOT activated the automatic button (A button) in the base densities tab of the color corrections assistance BEFORE you launch the prescan. You should have values of 0 for highlights and 5 for shadows.
    3) When the pre-scan is finished, even if you selected negative in the setup, the image will appear as positive. That means the transparency will look as you see it on the light box, and color neg un-inverted. This is ok.
    4) Launch the scan, again, without touching that A button and making sure the values are at 0 and 5.

Now, the tricky part:
    - Both for scanning negs or positives, make sure you have included the custom profile made for POSITIVES in the input RGB tab of Color Management>Profile Manager.
    - Idem for the tab Scanner under the same menu Profile Manager. The trick thing: make sure the profile of the scanner for NEGATIVES (this is the trick) points to the POSITIVE custom made profile you introduced in the RGB input.

If you do this, the machine will scan without making any inversion (even if we selected Negative as setup), therefore giving us the possibility of doing that on PS. As Negative has been selected, the sharpening is actually ZERO. As the profile for POSITIVE as been introduced for the negative material, the correct profile will be applied when scanning "as is" without any inversion. The resulting colors will be spot on.

As a side note, we realized as many other members of the group that when scanning the Hutch target with Newcolor with "raw" values of Base density 0 and 5 and correction 0, some partial almost-clipping in the shadows took place. We were scanning the target by using Scanopen and saving the scan, and realized that from this configuration changing the values of Color Correction assistance, curves, etc, gave no difference to the results. Basically, from scanopen Newcolor gives a "raw" scan of the target (or at least as raw as possible), and the ONLY parameters that change the result are the Base density values and the correction that lies below. As we could not get rid of the clipping, we saved several scans of the target with different values of Correction. We realized the optimum results were obtained with the profile generated with correction +5. All my scans show really good detail in the shadows, and basically the amount of clipping in the Hutch target scanned with the profile becomes marginal, almost at the level of scanner noise.

I will be testing with real scans during the next months, but we think we might have found the way to use newcolor giving great colors, no sharpening at all, great focusing every time and ease of use.

I hope this might be of help to some of you!
    I really thank Derin for his time and help, without which I would be still getting horrible bandings, noisy scans and grain sharpened looking like golf balls. He is such a wonderful guy.

cheers,

rafael

Thank you very much, I will try that!

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    Thank you very much, I will try that!
    Hi Georgl,

I spent a whole week trying different settings to get the scans in Newcolor (in negative mode) to be as good as Silverfast and I'm sad to say I failed. Whatever I did I ended up with either clipped highlights or blocked shadows or colour banding. I think there is some processing going on in negative mode that can't be switched off. however, you might get something that is 'adequate' for your needs. I've gone back to Silverfast (which is a bit annoying as it can't drive the autochanged on my 8400)

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Hi Tim!

I don´t know, if I´m doing something wrong but I get very good files from Newcolour for Negative conversion. If you are interested this is the way I do it and it works very well for me.

- In Newcolour I assign my Profile for positives also to the negatives
    - I tab the negative scanning button in the Scanning setup
    - I turn off EVERY automatic settings in the corrections setup, densities are set to 0 and 5. Now I see the image as seen on the lighttable
    - I scan in LAB (I think thats important in terms of clipping) and with the highest quality setting

Now I go to Photoshop:

- First I convert to RGB and assign the ProPhotoRGB working space (this makes also a big difference)

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-06 um 17.57.56 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

- Now I use Curves and slide the endpoints for shadows and highlights of every RGB Channel so there is exactly no clipping in this channel. In my case I have to remove some blue and add some red from the midtones by setting points to the middle of the curves:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-06 um 17.59.24 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-06 um 17.59.30 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

- Now I set the gamma in Levels:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-06 um 17.59.41 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

- And finally some contrast:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-06 um 17.59.46 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

And look at the 100% view, I´m sure there is no clipping and defenetly no blocked shadows or highlights:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-06 um 18.00.01 by Sebastian Dziuba, auf Flickr

Does this help?

Best regards, Sebastian