Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From Ebony RW45 to 8x10?

From Ebony RW45 to 8x10?

8x10 prints don't seem very big -- any more.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

From Ebony RW45 to 8x10?

After much input both here and via email, I made the decision to go ahead and purchase the Zone VI 8x10. Price and previous experience with a similar vintage Zone VI camera broke the logjam of consideration.

I did look at the Canham, Wisner, and considered a Phillips. Just too much money.... I want to save the difference and put it into a good lens or two.

Michael---thanks much for the offer to come and look at your camera. I would like to come visit even though I opted for something other than the Phillips. I have a good friend and fine photographer, Stephen Dirado, and he swears by his Phillips. But he carries his camera many miles on his shoulder and the Deardorff became too heavy for him---hence the Phillips. My work seems to happen within walking distance of the truck.

And to everyone else, your input was helpful---it helped me make the decision to return to the big camera. I'm sure I will be looking for further help as I go.

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

From Ebony RW45 to 8x10?

I'm afraid I'm a little behind in jumping in on this thread (just saw it) but steve, I wanted to let you know that ebony is coming out with an rw810 sometime very soon. I'm not sure of the price yet, but it should be more affordable (of course, affordable being relative here) than their current 8x10 offerings.

In any case, I almost could have written your message myself it was such a familiar story. It all started when I saw a show of Edward Weston contact prints that were so luminous and "alive" that for days afterwards, when I closed my eyes I could see a sort of afterimage (shell, kelp, rocks...) floating there. They were transcendent. After this experience, I immediatedly sold all my gear (medium format) and bought an old Calumet C-1 (the great green monster). Man, I cursed this camera up and down Point Reyes National Seashore for close to a year before surrendering in frustration and pain.(both mental and physical) Sold the beast and bought a new Toyo 4x5 setup, which I've used untill recently. Although fairly happy with the Toyo, I too, am increasingly haunted by the contact prints I had made with the old c-1, as well as the by work of Weston, among others. There is a difference. Really. Anyway, I am now selling the Toyo as well as my motorcycle (we must sacrifice, no?) in order to purchase a new 8x10 and make another go at it.

Wanting a lightweight wooden camera, I had it narrowed down to the Canham (I'm not much for mahogany and brass) when on a whim I e-mailed Ebony and asked if they had ever considered producing an rw810. They told me yes, one was forthcomming, so I'm waiting to check it out before I make the final plunge. Badger has it listed on their site as coming in June, but no price available yet.

Good luck. Sorry to be so long winded.