Thread: "blue" concept in a B&W photograph???

"blue" concept in a B&W photograph???

A local photo challenge is to convey the color concept of "blue" in a B&W photo. There are obvious things such as taking a shot of the word blue or a photo of the blue sky on a sunny day. Aperson who id down or "blue", maybe even a musical score from a "blues" tune...but what about some other ideas???
    I know you folks are really creative!
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: "blue" concept in a B&W photograph???

Tone the print blue.
    Print on "cold" paper.

Since all colors are equal in black & white, it's the same as conveying "blue" to a blind person. Photographing the word does not convey the color, as the letters may be brilliant scarlet on a green background. All color is a different form of grey.

What concepts are associated with blue? Blue lights? On the tops of police cars and carts in Kmart. Would a bluebell flower be recognizeable if it were photographed in black and white? We have blue skies, but that isn't very different in a black and white photograph from lightly overcast. When Captain Kangaroo was shot in black and white, he wore a blue jacket. When the show went to color, the producers had him switch to a red jacket. (true fact, from an interview)

Is a bluesman still a bluesman if all he plays are happy tunes?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    A local photo challenge is to convey the color concept of "blue" in a B&W photo. There are obvious things such as taking a shot of the word blue or a photo of the blue sky on a sunny day. Aperson who id down or "blue", maybe even a musical score from a "blues" tune...but what about some other ideas???
    I know you folks are really creative!
    So, apparently you are not, and want others to help you make up for your lack of creativity? I think that violates the spirit of the challenge. But then maybe I'm just not creative enough to separate it from cheating. Good luck (and I'm certain others will rush in to fill your void).

many creative people collaborate with others...the challenge was just the word "blue". I added the the Black and White twist because I wanted to. I have some color photos of Blue Ice glaciers that would certainly fit the bill, and peacocks in all their beautiful glory. I wanted o try to learn something by trying to do it in B&W. I struggle with being creative so I am hoping that I can learn something from others who's mind work differently than mine.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Rather than ask what "blue" means to others, I think it would be more valuable for you to ask yourself that question, then spend some creative time thinking of answers.

The first association that I made was "cold." So I might make a photograph that conveys coldness. I remember seeing a blue-toned photograph of the sea in a book by Tony Worobiec that chilled me to the bone.

Maybe make a list of your answers, then decide which is most meaningful to you, and figure out how to express that answer photographically. I suspect you are more creative than you think. You just need to put some thought into it.

Work it on multiple levels, like a person that is sad, but also tint the print blue. Or cyanotype. And somehow work the word "blue" in the picture. Pile it on.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

(Shrek)

For a photo challenge or contest about the concept 'blue', the last thing you want to do is.... submit a blue photograph.