Thread: Maco Film and Static

Maco Film and Static

Has anyone experienced static discharges with this film? On a recent trip to Scotland, every negative shot had extensive damage from static. I have never had a problem with this before but this was the first time out using this film and in old and untried wooden holders.

Charlie.

Octogenarian

Maco Film and Static

Hi Charlie,

Have you tried those old wooden film holders with other types of film? My guess is that the problem is the holders, not the film. Usually a static charge is built up when the slide is pulled quickly, especially under extremely dry conditions. If there is no way to ground the charge, it will discharge and show the type of damage you experienced. I don't believe that Maco film has any unusual characteristics that would cause this particular problem.

Maco Film and Static

Charlie, Would it be possible to show us what a static discharge looks like on film? I have had some strange markings in extreme cold weather and still haven't pin pointed the problem or the solution. If the markings are similar we might be able to identify it. Here is the link that I had posted: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/496803.html

Maco Film and Static

This is just a guess, but I would think that touching the body of the filmholder while you withdraw the slide might help. The thing about static charges is that they are VERY high voltage with, by definition, zero current. Giving the potentials on slide and holder a path toward each other (even if at a few Mohms) may just do the trick.