Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Question on Grafmatic film holders

hi
    i have got a series of shots with strong light leak in the septums' hole. I have 1 shot completely exposed and 5 shots with gradually decreasing in light in the septum hole area and around it.
    I think i accidentally pulled out the dark slide and exposed one shot. is it normal in grafmatic holders that such error would affect other film in other septums?

Re: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Yes, if to pulled the dark slide with the film area exposed to light you will fog all the sheets. This will happen either if the lens is open, or the holder is out of the camera. If you look at the design it's easy to see how this happens.

I should add that you must have the dark slide pushed back in before you take your shot (the red dot will be visible) or you will also fog the other sheets.

I'm embarassed to admit this, but for a long time I did not push the darkslide back after pulling it (to shield the remaining 5 sheets from light). All edges of the film were fogged.
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I should add that you must have the dark slide pushed back in before you take your shot (the red dot will be visible) or you will also fog the other sheets.
    that sucks. it is a great piece of mechanics but it has so many moves that makes it prone to errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    I'm embarassed to admit this, but for a long time I did not push the darkslide back after pulling it (to shield the remaining 5 sheets from light). All edges of the film were fogged.
    although i did not know that i would fog my film like this but i thought it does not look right protruding like this when the darkslide is not inserted.

I made this mistake recently...

Pulled and pushed dark slide as normal to take shot.

Wanted to check ground glass so pulled whole Grafmatic off the back of camera.

- So far no big deal - Only one shot would be burned if I had done the right thing next.

But I didn't.

With the Grafmatic in hand, in full light, I racheted to advance the film.

Guess what happened?

Not much. The one shot was burned. That's sure.

But the shot nearest the top stayed unfogged.

Four other shots had minor (would have to crop 1/2 inch to hide it completely) fog at the notch.

---
    Lesson: If this happens to you, don't go home. Keep shooting. You'll get something.

I usually shoot tight. Sometimes I think the numbered desk is too much into my frame. Half an inch is too much but I would not go home.

Thanks guys. Helpful and informative replies.

You can remove the numbered disk.
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    You can remove the numbered disk.
    really!! .. how?

Quote Originally Posted by algarzai View Post
    really!! .. how?
    The grafmatics come apart easily with just a screw driver. If I remember correctly you need to remove the screws on the sides and then you can pull out the main part. Keep track of the little loose stop that will come out and note hoe it goes back in. Then a few screws let you open the main compartment. The disk is readily removed once you open the main compartment. It's been years since I removed the wheel on mine so I may be forgetting a minor step. but if I can figure it out I'm sure you can too.

Keep the disk so you can put it back if you want to sell the unit.

Despite the chance of fogging the sheets all at once, I really like the units. I've only fogged things once, so I don't think it's really a big deal.