Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "All things are photographable" thread

Re: "All things are photographable" thread

This thread looks very promising! Very nice images already here, particularly Scott's, Vaughn's and Jim Galli's. I also quite often set up my Sinar for something not-so-obviously photogenic... One humble contribution - VanDyke print.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012_vandyke_008.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	86649
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Thanks Ramiro!

I'll try not to inundate y'all with too many at a time but many of these I've posted before over the years and can say mainly I just wanted to see the resulting photograph. As Vaughn said it is relative but I think we can run with the premise and have fun.
    I don't even look at any other parts of the forum any more.... Just this section and the thread for small format safe haven. A lot of great and inspiring photography compared to many other places on the Web.

Saying that here's two more. First is a lith print from an ambrotype and the second is a tintype(aluminum).

I admit that this is how I approach most shots...I always have felt it was because I didn't really no what "to say" or "have anything in particular to say"
    Jim your shot of the welding rods catches my eye for sure. I like it.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

I have no idea where I am now.

I'll share two
    One of our helicopters:

Setting up to do portraits of any one brave enough to try. I liked what I saw on the grand glass:

Illford positive paper.

Ongoing series of items that are basically consumed or used up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c-Negative Solarizations7556.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	86834

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I don't know if this counts more as cultural commentary or photography commentary, but every picture in this thread shows subject matter with a long history of being photographed, and every picture uses a pictorial style that we could date to sometime between 1850 and 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I don't know if this counts more as cultural commentary or photography commentary, but every picture in this thread shows subject matter with a long history of being photographed, and every picture uses a pictorial style that we could date to sometime between 1850 and 1940.
    OK, new rule. Only photograph things that have never been photographed before in ways that were never done before.......

. . . . uhmmmm . ?? . . anybody wanta buy an 8X10 Eastman and a bunch of old lenses?

Every thing I do has been done before, I could even load up my version of the peppers.
    I like simple objects I can get close to me ... Sobey's has been my food source and my photography source.. A crushing plant is within a stone throw of my darkroom studio so I collect the objects there as well.
    I am doing a portrait series of big head pin head which features my clients that walk in my door. Solarized portraits that are not pleasing to the subjects.
    If I ever get to the grand canyon, I promise I will not take out the camera, same goes for any sand dunes or aspen pines... I also will never do street photography.. promise, promise , promise.

It is interesting that you say something between 1850 and 1940 as all the equipment I use is that timeline... 100yr old studio camera and metal holders in a stainless 12 litre deep tank.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Jim, that's hyperbollic. I'm just finding it curious that in a thread about photographing things without the baggage of tradition and ideas about what/how to photograph, we get images that come from traditions firmly established a century ago. Winogrand was explaining his desire to unshackle himself from certain aspects of tradition in many of those famous lines of his. And of course he said those thing half a century ago. His style itself became a new tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    OK, new rule. Only photograph things that have never been photographed before in ways that were never done before.......

. . . . uhmmmm . ?? . . anybody wanta buy an 8X10 Eastman and a bunch of old lenses?
    Ya, whattha got ?
    Mike