Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Travel Tripod To Get Damaged / Stolen... Dynatran??

Inexpensive Travel Tripod To Get Damaged / Stolen... Dynatran??

i was looking around for an old tripod for my 4x5 technika to take on an upcoming trip to europe with the assumption that it would get lost, damaged, or stolen when i came across the following at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3809807236&category=30094&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

has anybody ever heard of Dynatran tripods?

they seem reasonably priced, and i'm a firm believer in the old adage 'you get what you pay for'

can they handle a 4x5 technika?

any experiences would be appreciated. scott

Best tripod for the money that will be good for a 4x5" Technika in my opinion would be a used Leitz or Marchioni Tiltall. These can be had in good condition for around $100.

"Best tripod for the money that will be good for a 4x5" Technika in my opinion would be a used Leitz or Marchioni Tiltall."

That may be the tripod that has caused the most damage to cameras as heavy as the Technika thanks to their making the pan handle the same shape as the column lock so an inexperienced user suddenly finds his camera slapping down rather then panning.

I haven't heard of the brand, but the specs in the auction posting suggest it should be OK for a 4x5. You may want to consider whether the 29.25" minimum height will fit inside your (preferably, hard-shell) luggage for flight transport. And, of course, whether the end price will still be reasonable when the auction ends is another matter.

I agree with David's suggestion of a good Tiltall as an alternative that comes up frequently at auction. I still have one that I bought back in the '60s - works fine.

I remember using a very cheap new china-made tripod that cost only 35 RMB / $7 US, about 10 years ago. It weighed about 3 kilos and was very flimsy until locked down tight, when it then started hurting fingers and skin, and became a sturdy tripod...

I always laughed when I thought about what the thief had to go through to get it home

Sorry about not remembering the model name or number...

I suggest looking around for some used tripods that are heavy and in beat-up condition.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/syrinx/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=CK6461&ac.cat.CatTree.detail=y&type=PRDINDEX

I guess that's something to watch out for, Bob. I'm not that tall, and I tend to avoid using the column anyway for stability reasons--rarely more than 5 inches if at all--so I've never had that problem.

Tiltalls are king for inexpensive travel tripods. Light, sturdy and inexpensive to replace. It's my primary tripod for 4x5 and some 5x7.

Another good Tiltall/Technika trick is that you can easily reverse the column, remove the Technika's accessory shoe, and screw the head into the tripod socket on top of the camera for low angle work. But be sure that the column lock is tight, that the safety ring is screwed securely into the end of the column, and that the threads for the ring aren't stripped.

I too stumbled across these Tripods/Monpods at their Retail Web Site www.amvona.com
    I called to find out what Warranty was offered and was told 14 DAYS !
    Then I found the Amvona Store on Ebay and emailed them the same Warranty question.
    They replied that there was NO WARRANTY!
    Based on that alone I am looking elsewhere.
    Hope this helps