Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ross Half Plate Field Camera HELP!

Re: Ross Half Plate Field Camera HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I was thinking that this camera, with some unusual features, was made by Billcliff in Manchester.He had a period when he produced a lot of round lens board cameras. He also delighted in using ebony for "edging" alongside the the mahogany?
    That particular lens board is one hallmark of Billcliff, another is the slightly unusual tripod ring for the legs. Billcliff's must have been a large workshop as they were making cameras for a number of companies as well as selling them under their own name.

Ian

It looks as though you might also need to adapt it for a modern tripod unless you have the original legs to fit the base.
    Getting 3 legs for this is absolutely not a problem. "orphaned" legs (?) are two a penny.

They never command a price approaching the Graflex types.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Getting 3 legs for this is absolutely not a problem. "orphaned" legs (?) are two a penny.

They never command a price approaching the Graflex types.
    They are about but hard to get Again they aren't standard so you need the tripod ring to check they fit. At least twice I've been piped to to the post by a buyer who grabs them all and that's as an early-bird to the sales.

It is a case of getting out and about looking and my local very large flea market beckons on Sunday Actually there's not much photo gear but what's there is mainly at bargain prices, it's oftyen anyique dealers selling items they don't secialiose in.

Ian

Hey everyone,
    Thanks for your replies and your help!

I live in Sydney, Australia. My partner purchased the camera on eBay from the UK. The camera is labeled as a Ross London camera, I have attached a photo. As for a tripod, my partner could more than likely make something to fit into the base to attach to my Manfrotto legs.

I'm thinking my best bet is to try get a 4x5 back to fit and a different lens with a shutter so it will be usable. I'll keep the dry plate backs and the barrel lens for later down the track when I hopefully will have my own darkroom facilities to be able to do and make them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_KRA2273.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	86647
    www.kierrathorn.com

If you can get a back from a 5x4 Pacemaker Speed or Crown Graphic it's simple to attach this a board that's interchangeable with the current back. Look on the Graflex.org website there's two types of back the simple spring type and the later International back, the latter are more expensive and more desirable to many users. I'm actually happy using the spring backs.

A good woodworker can make you new lens boards.

Ian

Nice Ross plaque!
    Ross were basically a lens making company, who went into the retail selling of cameras etc. to broaden their appeal to the public as their domination of the UK market had been in decline since the 1860's. Billcliff remained an exclusive Manchester (still a boom city in England then) firm selling under their own name but supplying to others. The fact that this is a camera obviously made by made by Billcliff adds to the historic value of the "Ross" camera. Most suppliers to Ross remain anon!

If you are good at woodworking, you can make a reducing back that fits in place of the book-form film holder. I made one for my Japanese Okuhara half plate field camera. Pticures are in Post #9 at http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-first-results

Bob

Talking Re: Ross Half Plate Field Camera HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    If you are good at woodworking, you can make a reducing back that fits in place of the book-form film holder. I made one for my Japanese Okuhara half plate field camera. Pticures are in Post #9 at http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-first-results

Bob
    Bob, thank you!
    This looks like a good solution to my problem. My patner is more than competent with woodworking (he makes guitars) and should be able to make the adapter for me.

Next matter of business is a different lens with a shutter. Any recommendations?
    www.kierrathorn.com

Some older British field cameras use sliding lens boards which means a lens has to fit a flange, you're lucky in that the way your lens board fits you can use any lens that'll fit.

It's up to you how modern a lens you use but a multi-coated 150mm Symmar or Sironar is inexpensive in a Copal #0 shutter, a 150mm Xenar would also be a good option - best used stopped down for overall sharpness.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Some older British field cameras use sliding lens boards which means a lens has to fit a flange, you're lucky in that the way your lens board fits you can use any lens that'll fit.

It's up to you how modern a lens you use but a multi-coated 150mm Symmar or Sironar is inexpensive in a Copal #0 shutter, a 150mm Xenar would also be a good option - best used stopped down for overall sharpness.

Ian
    Thank you for your recommendation, I will look into them.
    www.kierrathorn.com