Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What tools do I need to make a metal lens board?

Re: What tools do I need to make a metal lens board?

It should be moved to the DIY thread, not the Lounge. Interesting in any case, as I am now trying to figure out how to make boards for my new Sinar Norma.

Yes, Jim,
    The lens boards I make for my Speed Graphic are from 6061-T6 Al and are a sandwich of large size .080 inch thick and small size 0.190 inch thick. If you go full screen on my photo you will see how they are bolted together with Unbrakos for machining, later replaced by countersunk flat heads for appearance.
    The 4 jaw grips the small size, and i tap the large size against the jaws with a soft mallet, checking runout.
    The tailstock provides a little pressure back into the headstock
    Trepanning a 3 inch hole, the SB9 is in lowest speed and backgears.
    Tool angles are critical along with a light hand feed and oil.

I would like to see a photo of your faceplate frame.

(Shrek)

I wouldn't recommend the lathe method unless you're quite comfortable around lathes, and the thought of a piece flying off and embedding itself in the far wall doesn't phase you. I've done one that had to be threaded, it was a PITA but very doable. If you're not that comfortable around power tools, I would start with a jigsaw and a file. Aluminum tends to bind with cutting tools and fill files, so the proper tooling set-up is indeed a milling machine with a proper cutter and some lube. You may find you have to buy your aluminum in 4x8' or 4x10' sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I wouldn't recommend the lathe method unless you're quite comfortable around lathes, and the thought of a piece flying off and embedding itself in the far wall doesn't phase you. I've done one that had to be threaded, it was a PITA but very doable. If you're not that comfortable around power tools, I would start with a jigsaw and a file. Aluminum tends to bind with cutting tools and fill files, so the proper tooling set-up is indeed a milling machine with a proper cutter and some lube. You may find you have to buy your aluminum in 4x8' or 4x10' sheets.
    whAT?

Aluminum files beautifully with hand tools
    https://www.box.com/s/2lh98wqqjuy0doouf6hb

and is the easiest to learn with on a lathe

small cut to size pieces for a few bucks /pc can be had for example from , Stainless Supply Monroe NC USA

FWIW I just made a lens board for a Commercial Ektar using an aluminium clipboard from staples and it worked perfectly, just the right thickness for my Toyo 4x5. I put a layer of Gorilla Tape on the backside to keep it snug and eliminate reflections. I already had the clipboard but if I didn't it would have been about $15 and has at least three more lens boards left in it.

Tools required were a hacksaw, round and flat files and drill with hole saw. I don't have a mounting ring for the lens so I made the hole a very snug fit and then used a couple of rubber O-rings and it is rock solid.

My lathe is set up for faceplate turning right now or I'd take a photo:<(

But basically I grip the lens board in a bowl turning chuck with 8 small "rubber" fingers and a small piece of backing behind it and mount the wing cutter in a chuck in the tailstock and advance the cutter with the crank on the tailstock. Would do it as in the photo if I had a metalworking lathe but I don't. I sometimes think of getting a "mini-lathe" with a milling attachment for this kind of small project but don't have space for any more machines. I know a couple of folks who have Bridgeport milling machines in their garages but I mainly do woodworking so instead I have a 3000 pound European combination woodworking system and a 24" bandsaw taking up half the garage.

I think the key to safety though is not to have the wing cutter rotating at high speed near your fingers, and to run the lathe at low enough speed that chips or even the workpiece itself aren't going to be flung out with any real force.

Jim, Thanks
    Next comment / query I would make on Ari's thread is the difficulty of locating the original maker's centre point of the lens hole.
    It may not be in the centre of the board. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    It should be moved to the DIY thread, not the Lounge. Interesting in any case, as I am now trying to figure out how to make boards for my new Sinar Norma.
    Agreed. More folks will see it here.

Rick "Done" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    FWIW I just made a lens board for a Commercial Ektar using an aluminium clipboard from staples and it worked perfectly, just the right thickness for my Toyo 4x5. I put a layer of Gorilla Tape on the backside to keep it snug and eliminate reflections. I already had the clipboard but if I didn't it would have been about $15 and has at least three more lens boards left in it.

Tools required were a hacksaw, round and flat files and drill with hole saw. I don't have a mounting ring for the lens so I made the hole a very snug fit and then used a couple of rubber O-rings and it is rock solid.
    Nicely done. I like that everything was easily bought, and tools were nothing fancy.
    In the end, I just need to make a few lens boards, and if they work well enough, I'll tackle a Technika adapter.
    I like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270748292251...84.m1423.l2649
    because the Tech board rests on the outside of the adapter, rather than having to fit inside a channel.
    It would be easier to mount some larger lenses with that adapter, the kind where the Tech board is completely obscured by the shutter

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Agreed. More folks will see it here.

Rick "Done" Denney
    Thank you, Rick, and thanks to Mr Lee who took it out of the FS section (my mind must have been elsewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thank you, Rick, and thanks to Mr Lee who took it out of the FS section (my mind must have been elsewhere).
    I didn't know Ken had gotten to it first. He's quick!

But next time, just hit the "report post" button--that will send us all an email. None of us had read this thread at all, and so could not respond to your earlier post requesting the move.

Rick "no worries" Denney