Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

Re: 8x10 Shen Hao vs. 8x10 Tachihara

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonartist View Post
    BradS......observation 1. Midwest is selling them on their website...
    They only show the 4x5 mdel as in stock...but even that is good news. I thought that tachihara had disappeard from the domestic market. Given that you have long arms, and if you don't mind the gold colored metal works (don't be fooled, it is not brass...only kinda brass colored), then I think the Tachihara would be an excellent choice.

I suggest that you add your location to your profile information...it is helpful.

Hi Everyone,

I have finally decided to get into 8x10 large format after turning down jobs from clients looking for larger images up to 72” wide, I think 4x5 would be pushing the limits for those sizes. I have set a limit of around $2000 so I can put more $$$ into the lens (150 and 300mm) and I prefer to buy new and these 2 models have caught my eye. The camera will be used for landscapes and it seems the Shen Hao seems to have more movements then the Tachihara but do I really need them all? If anyone has had on hands knowledge about the overall performances of ether one it would be very well appreciated in making a final decision...Thanks
    The Shen-Hao is a 'Phillips' style, whereas the Tachihara is more a 'Deardorff' style. The advantage of the 'Phillips' style is partly the back. It has a solid hinge like a non-swing back, but it also swings with a clever locking mechanism designed by Dick Phillips. So, it can be made lighter than the other and still be very solid. I'd get whatever you are used to using. When I got into 8x10 my friend had a Phillips, so I went with that style.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The Shen-Hao is a 'Phillips' style, whereas the Tachihara is more a 'Deardorff' style. The advantage of the 'Phillips' style is partly the back. It has a solid hinge like a non-swing back, but it also swings with a clever locking mechanism designed by Dick Phillips. So, it can be made lighter than the other and still be very solid. I'd get whatever you are used to using. When I got into 8x10 my friend had a Phillips, so I went with that style.
    Careful IC...Shen Hao make at least three different styles of 8x10: the FCL, the HZX and the TFC. The FCL810 is the one you're referring to. The Shen Hao HZX810 is similar in design to a Deardorf or Ebony RW810 and the TFC...well, I guess it mimics one of the Ebony non-folding designs.
    Last edited by BradS; 2-Jan-2013 at 22:54. Reason: numerous typos

Quote Originally Posted by Gittime Kirkum View Post
    So what client is going to pay for you to experiment and learn how to shoot a new 8x10 outfit when you've never used a view camera? You don't have to name names but I am trying to imagine what sort of client would be this generous? I can't imagine....

In any event, you probably should work backwards from your output - testing and comparing files and prints from various combinations. 8x10 chromes are not necessarily the ultimate media, and even if they are, once you factor in all the expenses - bracketing, scanning, testing, editing, printing - they still may be out of reach or so expensive that you won't make any money. Then again, there is a semi-famous Italian photographer who shoots landscapes with 11x14 Portra who makes a few million a year....

You might save yourself a lot of money, time, headaches if you hire a good photographer for a day and go out with them, play art director and learn using with their gear, do a few shots, buy a drum scan, work with the files, make a big print... sort of test it out.
    Gittime.....They will be a learning curve to this new format for me, that's understood. But in a years times while learning how to the use the 8x10 and everything that goes with it....then "a client will pay me". There is a market for this I know and I am committed to make a go with it, I am trying trying to pick a 8x10 within my budget, then I will purchase some excellent glass to go with it, then I will get a decent drum scanner. I am willing to experiment and learn this craft because down the road it will pay off.....So Gittime if you got some solid points to say about the pros and cons of the above mention models, then give them to me.

I have the Shen Hao FCL 810 A and a Sinar F2 8x10. I bought the Shen Hao new from Badger Graphics and I haven't touched the Sinar since I got it. Many here are loyal to Deardorff and I'm sure for good reason. I've never used a Dorff but I've seen them up close and in my humble opinion, camera design has come a long way since Deardorff was king.

The Shen FCL810 is a beautiful camera. Period. As rigid as can be expected at its considerable full extension - probably more so than my Sinar F2 at less than half the weight. Wind is a challenge, but I don't think there's an 8x10 out there that is 'windproof'. The quality of construction, finish and design is utterly beyond reproach IMO and there's NOTHNG "Made in China" seeming about it, although "MiC" isn't as much of a liability these days as it used to be.

All in all it's a very nice, very high quality camera with much more modern and...just more, features than a Deardorff. I know there are those here who will likely flay me for saying that, but I truly beleive it and not just because I happen to own the Shen Hao. In fact, I could have got the Shen or the Chamonix (another excellent Chinese maker) and I chose the FCL for reasons other than the $1000 lower price than the Chamonix.

Good luck in your decision, but I can tell from experience that the Shen Hao would probably not be a purchase you'd regret.

. . . the reason I want 150mm is that looking at what I shoot on my FF camera many times it is in the range of 150mm in a 8x10 . . .
    Out of curiosity, what do you use on your full-frame camera? To what dimensions do you typically print.

4x5 speed graphic and whatever lens comes with it.
    $15 a pop plus $10/sheet processing doesn't make much sense to learn on and the $300 you spent on the 4x5 kit when you decide LF isn't for you will be much easier to swallow. With one 8x10 transparency film left and the remaining 8x10 color film that's left, you'll be shooting 4x5 color (if you can get it processed) shortly anyway.

read this thread:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...re-photography

Brad, off topic I know, but yes, the Tachiharas are available from Midwest. I just bought a 4x5, as I wanted a new wooden folder in a traditional design and that was the only one available. I like it a lot, but yes, the anodized simulated brass metal is disturbing...

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

The Shen FCL810 is a beautiful camera. Period. As rigid as can be expected at its considerable full extension - probably more so than my Sinar F2 at less than half the weight. Wind is a challenge, but I don't think there's an 8x10 out there that is 'windproof'. The quality of construction, finish and design is utterly beyond reproach IMO and there's NOTHNG "Made in China" seeming about it, although "MiC" isn't as much of a liability these days as it used to be.

Good luck in your decision, but I can tell from experience that the Shen Hao would probably not be a purchase you'd regret.
    Thanks Cletus, for the review on the FCL810...I am leaning towards this model, I have seen some reviews that back up what you say. I have talked to Jeff @ Badger and he concurs too.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you use on your full-frame camera? To what dimensions do you typically print.
    Hi Neil,
    I have the Canon 5D Mark II and my WA is the Zeiss 21mm f2/8, which the 150mm on the 8x10 is close to in 35mm terms I think. I max out at 24x36 with this set up.