Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion / Yosemite trip recomendations

Re: Zion / Yosemite trip recomendations

Try http://myyosemite.com to get a feel for the place from the viewpoint of someone living there year-round. You may find that 4 of 5 early Octobers have been great (or not). If you find such a pattern, you can get at least better than coin-flip chances.

BTW, October is when the night fog and moonbows seems to start up. Even without roaring waterfalls (those are really spring/early-summer things), it's pretty cool: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2716334...57627828844404

Sierran waterfalls will be even drier, if not nonexistent. They flow with the spring snow melt, and normally won't be back in any significant fashion until April or May for a few months run (whereupon the park service promptly turns them off ). Autumn color in the Sierra peaks at easily accessible and specific locations in mid October, but is nothing to write home about compared to other areas of the country. However, once again, higher elevations in southern Utah (e.g., UT 12) are fantabulous by late September. The Virgin River part of lower Zion, as well as Yosemite Valley, peak, such as they do, in mid to late November.

P.S. Yes, I have personally been asked, many times, by tourists, when the NPS shuts off the waterfalls (and I doubt they'll turn them back on just for you).

Drew Wiley

Hard to predict this far in advance. Yosemite Creek sometimes goes totally dry; but last two years waterfalls in the backcountry have to spectacular right thru Aug and Sept due
    to heavy late season precipitation. Spring has the advantage of big runoff in the Valley
    and the spectacular wildflower shows downhill in the lower canyons etc; but you can't
    drive the passes like Tioga. Oct you get nice color up in the aspen and the passes are
    generally open, and the crowds have thinned. Over toward Zion things are more buggy
    in Spring. Oct still attracts some flash floods, so slot canyons are dicey. Nov gives you
    color down in the valley floors, both Zion and Yos. Prior to that, I think you have to take
    a shuttle bus into Zion. Gets cold in Nov. But heck, I'd be willing to go there any month of
    the yr. If it's too hot down in the canyon, just go to the rim. ... But my favorite time is
    indeed late Oct/ early Nov.

For color in Yosemite and Zion, the end of October or even better first week of November would be a higher probability. And DV would be a lot cooler. However, the eastern Sierra would be way past prime.

Les

As others have mentioned, keeping somewhat flexible is the key. IMO, I probably would trim the Zion stay to two nights and explore other stuff like Bryce, Valley of Fire, Cedar Breaks...or even Northern side of Grand Canyon ? (IF they didn't close it for the Winter). Were you thinking of hiking to Angel's Landing at Zion ? Amazing views, in any case. That said, I'd rip through Nevada and maybe stop at that one horse...ok scratch that, one light (or two) sounds better....Jim G. Tonopah....before you scale the Sierra's. Frankly, I wouldn't touch Death Valley with a 10' pole...unless it's Nov or later. Again, you can play it by ear, if it's beyond your comfort level, you could rip to Sequoia (over 6000') and stay there till you decide how much time you wish to spend in Yosemite and/or SF. Having a laptop with you would help in making reservations (or conforming them) on the go. I just realized that I haven't been to Zion in 30+yrs, yet I explored other areas and without dropping in there. I think Oct. would be little cooler and easier to find lodging, since 95% of the vacationers will be missing and kids will be back in school. Yeah, worry about the 5% . The bottom line is, have a nice time.

Les

WOW, what a lot of useful info!

I'm researching every bit of information you have all provided before I make a decision. Yosemite is a must, as I want to take my partner as she has seen a lot of the photos that I took climbing there in the early eighties, but that was May (and yes we did get a snow storm climbing El Cap), so all the waterfalls were running.

I'm trying not to do to much driving as we have recently returned from a trip around the Namib and Kalahari desert which involved some long days on dirt roads, so this is supposed to be a bit more relaxed. Apparently, on a two week trip, booked in the UK, there is no extra fee for dropping the car of at a different location than the pickup hence return flight from SF.

I'm now thinking late Oct/ early Nov for the trip having a few days at Zion then drive to Yosemite with an overnight somewhere.

Anyone any recomendations for accomadation at Zion, or any where to avoid.

Thanks
    Bruce

Preston Birdwell

Bruce,

I can't answer your question regarding lodging at Zion, but I will say that you need to decide on your arrival date at Yosemite and the number of nights there and then make your reservations as soon as you can. Even though that time of year is less crazy than the late spring or summer, there is still a goodly number of people and reservations are hard to get if you wait.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    Yosemite is a must, as I want to take my partner as she has seen a lot of the photos that I took climbing there in the early eighties
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Bruce,

I can't answer your question regarding lodging at Zion, but I will say that you need to decide on your arrival date at Yosemite and the number of nights there and then make your reservations as soon as you can. Even though that time of year is less crazy than the late spring or summer, there is still a goodly number of people and reservations are hard to get if you wait.

--P
    OTOH, maybe he's thinking Camp 4.

Scott Davis

I went in early October a few years ago, and had beautiful weather. I had planned my trip around the Columbus Day weekend (Monday, October 14 this year), and the ony time I had an issue with a place to stay was that weekend - the week before I was able to just find a place, walk in and get a room. The fall colors were definitely present at higher elevations. Tioga Pass was still open, as was Sonora. Days were warm, but nights got downright frigid. Another spot to consider on the way to Yosemite if you're coming from the east and south is Devil's Postpile, just outside Mammoth (a big ski area which has lots of lodging options). If you want to see a waterfall that will be running, Rainbow Falls is at Devil's Postpile and was quite energetic in October. If you're not used to it, the elevation can take a good bit out of you, as you'll be spending a lot of time around (and even above) 9000'. Lee Vining, the town nearest Yosemite on the eastern side, has places to stay also, but not as many, and they're often booked solid in advance.

Drew Wiley

There's a nice campground with hot showers and a store just outside the main entrance to
    Zion in Springdale. The town itself is a bit of a tourist trap. There's a big IMax theatre right there so you can see movies of the park (sacrilege!), and Fatali's gallery is down the street (whether you admire him personally or not, it's worth visiting), and plenty of coffee joints etc. Zion Lodge inside the Park would have to be booked quite early, though things
    are less crowded in Nov.