Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Life Images, 2013

Re: Still Life Images, 2013

Thanks a lot, Jim, for taking the time to comment. This is very helpful in order to improve. Of course, you are absolutely right, I noticed when I looked at the print in daylight. I may be able to make a better print and burn the fruit a little. I also made a shot with a higher resolution lens which might have better separation of the tonal values.

I have to think about how to improve the lighting. I used a 25x25'' softbox and a reflector on the other side. Perhaps this is too small and I have to move it too close to the setup. I will think about how I can build a larger light source in the very limited space I have available. I'm sure 6x6' in 6' distance would work a lot better.

By the way, I like what you're doing and I think your lighting is very natural and nice.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

30 Lbs....

Sinar P 4x5. Rodenstock 150mm Sironar. Delta 100 developed in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100.

30 lbs by JBelthoff, on Flickr
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Here's one from last week on 4x5 Acros. I'm going to re-shoot with a different background. Sometimes I like it the way it is and sometimes I don't. There are some bizarre reflections in the foreground jug that I can't figure out where they came from. The room's ceiling fan appears twice and the squeezed camera and tripod along with some framed art on the walls. I was moving around during the long exposure, so I don't show up. The upper-left "D"-shaped reflection and what looks like graphic design rug at the bottom, I have no idea. I love glass!

Comments welcome.

Well done Jim. Background might be probably less noticeable. Very nice reflection on glass.

Thank you, Jiri. I agree. I've re-shot twice, but have to develop. I'll post the best of the two when I get a chance. Working in a small 11x11' room is hard. Every light source goes all over the place, is difficult to control and everything in the room shows up in the reflections. It's a challenge. I've got about 5 hours in the second two shots, and I'll have to see if the film will show only what I hoped.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I really like it as it is. The greys are fantastic, super nice tonal range. The reflections might bother a little to the more technical oriented photographer/viewer (I would have planned this to avoid them) but once passed that you kind of get lost inside the glass. Mesmerizing...

Thanks for the comments, Ramiro. Hopefully, one of the other shots will work. If not, back to the studio.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Good luck, Jim. I keep my fingers crossed that it will work out.

Here is a new version of the rotten apple. This one I took with a different lens, a G. Rodenstock Hemi-Anastigmat f=7.2 No. 2 (210mm), which is a lot sharper than the older set lens. The rest is kept as much the same as possible. From the negative density it looks like the set lens was a bit wider open, like 1/3 stop but there's no way to know exactly. This time I took more care to make a reasonable print.

I like the print a lot better but I'm not sure how this shows on a different screen. I'm not very good at scanning, unfortunately. Could it be a touch too dark now on the lower left? The tonal separation of the rotten apple from the background is still not that great. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to place the light yellow apple on an off-white towel. The other thing I'm not so convinced about is the background, which shows up a lot more defined in this take. Obviously, the set lens washed this away with its poor resolution.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this. Could be it's just another one for the recycling bin.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

Peter,

Everything looks great on my monitor. Much more contrast on the fruit and more detail on the towel. Overall, a much more pleasing image. Nicely done. The detailed background does not bother me as it doesn't compete with any of the forms presented against it. It actually adds to the interest of the photograph. One thing (among many) that I learned from Christopher Broadbent on this forum was the importance of a horizontal line to which the viewer could orient. Only a small amount of table edge appears to the right of the pitcher, which seems to be almost enough here because of the horizontal grain of the table top in the foreground. I wonder if allowing the composition to breathe a little bit more by pulling the camera back and showing a bit of table edge on the left would make the image stronger? Also, you could show a little of the facing table edge that would create a foreground horizon all the way across the image. Just thinking out loud...
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Thank you, Jiri. I agree. I've re-shot twice, but have to develop. I'll post the best of the two when I get a chance. Working in a small 11x11' room is hard. Every light source goes all over the place, is difficult to control and everything in the room shows up in the reflections. It's a challenge. I've got about 5 hours in the second two shots, and I'll have to see if the film will show only what I hoped.
    Hi Jim,
    i know, glass is big challenge . Everything in the room is mirrored, including camera and myself. This picture was taken in 3x3m room, single light source reflected from white wall.
    13x18cm Fomapan 100+PyrocatHD, printed on Fomalux SP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1318_039.jpg  

Lovely image, Jiri. Bravo!
    c&c always welcome!