Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New photos

New photos

Hi,
    I have a new series, really a mini-project, up on my website; I was hoping to get some feedback, on any aspect, no matter how seemingly insignificant.
    And I can take the heat, so dish it out, if necessary.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.aritapiero.com/the-last-jews-of-miskolc.html

Thanks, and happy new year.

I just realized this may be in the wrong section.
    Sorry, mods, and please move if necessary.
    Thanks

Re: New photos

Hello Ari,

Not sure if it just me but a few of the images look very sharp - IMHO - too sharp for the subject.

Edit: too contrasty might be a better term :-) that said I do not know anything about color...

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

most of those guys look really uncomfortable.

They're lovely photos, Ari, but I don't feel like I know anything more about those people after seeing the portraits.

The portraits are good... a portrait has to mean something to the people you are taking the picture of.. and the family... i bet most people here on LF will not get it.... They are into "performance" pictures... photos that are appealing to anybody thats viewing.

I did my apprenticeship with a jewish wedding photographer 30 years ago.. Jerry Cohen ....He taught me the business of photography and how to photograph... bar mitzvahs, weddings, and even funerals. The photographs, portraits mean different things to different people. A jewish wedding is much different kind of photography than a Catholic or even a Baptist wedding. Different pictures with different techniques. Some people are into the place and the grandeur .. wide angle needed.... Baptist up close and personal....
    Portraits are about getting to know what they expect to look like. Others might prefer a lot of retouching because they know what they wished they looked like.... Kind of hard to explain, but it has to do with the psychology of the person you are trying to capture with your camera. Look at Richard Avedon's work.... The people he photographed had egos that were huge and he photographed them like their poop didnt stink...LOL sorry could not help it

These are documentary images and seems to me to be well conceived. I like the idea. I like the individuals connection to their surroundings. That they are sharp and that some of the expressions are a bit vacant doesn't bother me so much.

I think if I had such an opportunity I would try make a stronger connection between the individuals and their surroundings. Perhaps a stronger focus on something in their life. There are some elements in the background that connect but some extraneous stuff weakens that connection. I think Keth has a point.

Good project and somewhat different than much of the stuff shown on LFPF - thanks for showing.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

The contrast is a little high but the color and exposures look good. One thing that bugs me about these pictures are that all of the men are really rigid! It's harder to photograph men I think, because we're always on guard for a threat of some sort. I may be wrong about that, but I do know men don't give much emotion in pictures unless you really know how to get it out of them. It also depends on what kind of camera you're working with, the subject will react a different way if its a view camera as opposed to a dslr. Most importantly is how you talk to the subject and collaborate to make a good picture.

I find them to be cool amd very carefully crafted place photos in which the people seem as much accents in the compositions as the subjects of them. (This is true of some of the images more than others.) I agree with some other reviewers that the subjects do not seem to engage the camera---but this is not necessarily bad and may have been your intent. If, in fact, this is to be a project, maybe select either color or black and white images for the final cut and not both. Hope this helps.

Bill Poole
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    The portraits are good... a portrait has to mean something to the people you are taking the picture of.. and the family... i bet most people here on LF will not get it.... They are into "performance" pictures... photos that are appealing to anybody thats viewing.
    I guess we should ask what is the intended viewership of this series? If it's everybody, I think they are weak portraits but pleasing photos in many cases. If the intended viewership is a Jewish publication or something like that, then it may mean much more than it does to my heathen eyes.

The statuesque almost stoic, unemotional, guarded poses of the subjects intrigues me and in and of itself (given the title of the collection) leads me to view the work more as a collective portrait of the physical remnants of a culture rather than a series of related individual portraits. I think it is a very interesting start. I would be interested in a similar treatment of the surviving material artifacts of the culture paired with these portraits.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"