Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinaron S 360mm 72º MC?

bulletchaser

Sinaron S 360mm 72º MC?

Hello, I have been a lurker for quite a while and decided to finally join the dialog. I recently purchased a Sinaron S 360mm 72º, #10719654. It was listed as a Sironar S 360mm. I have scoured the web trying to find info on this lens which according to everything I have found, and even a phone call to Sinar US, it shouldn't exist. Hears what I think I know;
    Rodenstock, vintage 1986-9, the Sinaron S should equate to Sironar N

The problem is that the Sironar N series is 64º and even the Sironar S is 68º, this lens clearly marked on the barrel @ 72º. I read Kerry Thalmans excellent piece on the history of Rodenstock lenses in View Camera Magazine's archives and it was not identified in there either. There was mention of an Apo Sironar (no suffix) during the late eighties that was the precursor to the Sironar W, however this only existed as a 210mm, 240mm, and 300mm & not a 360mm. I love a good detective chase , but this is driving me batty. I was going for the Sironar S in hopes that it would give me the sharpness and color saturation that I get from my Hasselbad 250mm Superachromat. I have not felt that the Sironar N's are quite as rich, and was thinking the ED glass might help. Anyways, I need to determine wether or not to return it, I have a short window which does not allow for comprehensive field testing, and I have not come across any 360mm Sironar S' or Sinaron SE's they seem to be very rare. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Sinaron S 360mm 72º MC?

The lens should be 64degree. Does the 72 degree marked on the barrel of the lens? Can you take a photo?

It's a Sironar-N, not a Sironar-S (there is no such thing). There is an Apo-Sironar-S (much later design).

The 1982 Rodenstock Sironar-N brochure from Berkey Marketing shows most of the lenses in that series
    have an AoV of 72° @ f/22, except for the 360mm which is 64° @ f/22.

All of the Sironar-N lenses are shown as 65° wide open except for the 360mm, which is 60°.

It's possible that a later re-design of the lens brought it up to the same specs as the other Sironar-N lenses.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Yes, something is odd here. The Sinaron S is indeed the (Apo-)Sironar-N, and the 360mm focal length is specified as having 64 degrees of coverage in both the Rodenstock- and Sinar-labeled versions. Is it marked clearly as a 360, rather than a 300?

As Songyun said, can you show us a picture?

bulletchaser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sinar.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	74729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sinar.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	74729 Thanks for the quick responses. Here's the pic, as far as the sinaron link, the question is not wether the lens is 72ª it is printed on it. It is regarding the fact that the sinaron s 360mm should in fact be a Rodenstock OEM lens equal to the Sironar N. Therefore if neither the Sironar N 64ª or the apo sironar s 68ª is the same AoV, how can the lens in fact be a Rodenstock, although the serial # is clearly in the Rodenstock range.
    Thanks
    Chris

Did you read my post #3?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

The plot thickens... Could you show the other side of the labeling as well, please? EDIT: Also, what is the filter size?

I'll attach Sinar's spec sheet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prka_objekt_e table.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Did you read my post #3?
    FWIW, the serial number dates the lens to about 1985. Sinar was using the spec sheet above at least as late as 2000-2001, and my Rodenstock catalog dated 9/93 also retains the 64 degree spec.

That doesn't mean it's impossible, only that I've never seen any evidence that there was another version of the lens. Perhaps a query to Sinar is in order to resolve this definitively.

What is the diameter of the rear cell? if the OD of the rear cell is 80mm, then I doubt it can cover 72 degree. I think the coverage down to 64 degree must have something to do with the mechanical vignette. Apo Symmar 360mm has better coverage, however it has a bigger rear OD. All Sinar/Rodenstock lens are limited to 80mm OD on the rear cell probably due to the fit of sinar shutter. Above are just my observation.