Thread: First foray into building photography

First foray into building photography

The state of Arizona is going to be demolishing my old elementary school in July, because a new school was built. With all of the changes in the areas I grew up I have noticed places that meant something to me are disappearing or being changed. I had a unique childhood and I want to document these places for myself and my son. Plus the farm my mother grew up on will likely be sold this summer as it is causing rifts in the family. The original homesite will be sold first so not only is it getting sold it is getting split up.

Here is the question. I plan to use the Camera I have, a kodak 5x7 2d. A 210 Lens and two shutterless lenses; one 150mm and the other 300mm. Inside, the shutterless lenses might work fine (I've never tried it)but outside I cannot seem to slip a box or hand over the lens quickly enough so my negs get over exposed, and I am not happy with that. Assuming I can swing a 150mm in a shutter would this be a good lens with my camera to shoot long interior hallways, the insides of barns, and the outsides of buildings, or is a wider lens a better choice? I guess I want the perspective of these places as I remember them. Now they are not so big but when I was growing up that school hallway was really damn long, especially when I got sent to the principal's office.

What about buying a Speed Graphic and adapting those lenses to it ? A speed graphic can be found cheap on ebay . Of course if you want to use 4 x 5 .... If is perspective you want you can find an ANgulon for little money .

You could use a neutral density filter to increase your lens cap time or front mount (or back mount) a packard shutter which fires at about 1/30s or so. These really are the cheapest solutions to having no proper shutter.

I really like the 150mm on 5x7, it doesn't distort things too much and gets a lot in the view. Try getting your camera nearer to the floor as you once were to bring back those memories and perspectives.

Cheers,

Greetings,

I've done a fair amount of abandoned building interiors and exteriors in 4x5 and 8x10. Inside you generally want a wide lens and one that will afford a fair amount of movement. I don't know which 150 you have, but it may not offer much movement in 5x7, so before you go for the expense of putting it in a shutter give it a try and see how it works.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shutters. Use a N.D. filter and slow film and you'll be just fine outdoors without a shutter. Use a film like Efke PL25 (ISO 25) with a 3 stop N.D filter and you should have plenty of time to time to expose without a shutter.

If you want to add a generic shutter that will work with both lenses consider a Packard shutter. They can be easily adapted to the front or back of the lens and are quite inexpensive.

Regards, Pete