Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First lens for landscape & architecture with Shenhao 4x5

First lens for landscape & architecture with Shenhao 4x5

Hello,

After some research, I have decided on the Shen-Hao HZX4x5-II A. The Shenhao fits my budget of roughly $1000, give or take a few hundred dollars more, for a kit (already have tripod and hand-held meter). I plan to use the camera for mostly landscape with occasional foray into architectural photography. I am having a tough time deciding which lens to get. I like wide angle lens, but am not sure if it would make a poor choice as a starting-out lens. Maybe I would be better off with a normal lens. On top of that is the brand choices. I am partial to Nikon since I have been using Nikon 35mm gear for the last eight years, but wonder whether or not I should consider other brand. What would you recommend as a starting-out lens for the above said applications? I don't see myself buying a second lens too soon down the road; maybe in 3 years time I can buy another one.

If you like wide-angle, a 121mm Schneider Super Angulon f8 is a good choice. It's not too wide, but still wider than a normal lens. "Normal" for 4x5 is a 150mm lens. This lens was one of Ansel Adam's favorites. It's single-coated, high quality, and usually sells for about $350 to $450.

But, I think it's better to begin with a lens that slightly longer than a normal lens. A good choice is a 180mm, which is my preference. Many people like something a little longer, like a 210mm.

Check the "Beginner's Questions" category for other responses to related questions.

Check out Steve Simmons book, Using the View Camera. It has loads of tips for first lens. I would ask what are you going to photograph? For landscapes a 210 is a good start. For architecture the 121.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hi Nghi,

Congrats on your purchase. I have used 90mm lens solely for the past 3 years until I bought a 210mm this year. Brandwise all the modern Rodenstock,Scheinder, and Nikon are much the same in terms of optics. I have got a 90mm Rodenstock which is equivalent to a 28mm in 35mm format. You can always crop with a wide angle and that was my rational for getting the 90mm.Once you get wider than this you start to have to consider centre filters to prevent edge light falloff. Nikon lens are probably cheaper to get new or second hand than the German equivalents. Do keep us informed about how things go.

Li hsia

I also used a 90mm lens for 3 years and found it to be a good starting lens for landscapes and minor architecture work.

Li-hsia didn't mention Fujinon in the list of lens makers. They are also worth looking at.

Cheers, Graeme

You can't go wrong with a modern Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock, or Fujinon. I think it's more important to analyze what your most common focal length is/was in 35mm (and triple the number for 4x5 equivalent) than to have people throw their personal biases/suggestions at you. Barring that, you might err on the side of buying slightly wider if it will be a few years before you can make another lens purchase. It would be wiser to have too much lens and have the option to crop than to not have enough.

With that, I'll suggest my 120mm Schneider. I love it, although it's not my most used lens. It's not too wide, nor too tight. Maybe just about perfect for the kind of work you plan to do.

When I bought my first LF camera about two years ago, I was advised by the useful and generous members of this forum to purchase a "normal" lens as my first lens, mainly because every "normal" lens is extremely well designed and it's easier to use on a large format camera than a wide angle lens or a longer one (less problems in focusing, bellows extension or rigidity, etc. etc.)...in a world a normal lens is a better learning tool and produce excellent results...so I purchased a Schneider 150 mm. and never regretted that choice: I've been shooting with that single lens for more than a year before feeling the need for another lens...I think that any lenses in the 120 mm./180 mm. range will be ok for you...

I'm sure you know that translating 35mm focal lengths to 4x5 lengths is problematical because of the different aspect ratios. Also, the choice of a lens is often affected by the camera itself, i.e. you may find that you photograph differently with a 4x5 camera than you did with 35mm. There was an interesting article about the effect of the equipment on how we photograph in Photo Techniques magazine a few years ago.

Since you'll be using only one lens for quite a while, I'd second Marco's suggestion of a "normal" lens for the reasons he gave, "normal" for this purpose being 135mm if you want "wide normal," 150mm if you want "normal normal" or 210 if you want "long normal." 135 is kind of a bastard length that not too many people use but I use mine quite a bit for the subjects you mention. However, 150 is likely to be the least expensive of the three.

You can save money by looking for a used single coated lens. Single coating usually sells at something of a discount since many people perceive a bigger difference between single and multi coating than there usually is. If you elect 150mm the G Claron might be a good choice, it's single coated, F9, very small and light but also usually inexpensive. They appear on e bay fairly often and I think go for $250 or thereabouts depending on condition.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Nghi,

I started in large format with the Shen Hao and a Fujinon 125mm CM-W lens two years ago. I've found it is a bit easier to focus, when depth of field is considered, than a 210mm length to learn on. It has adequate coverage to play with movements, so you can get a feel of the view camera's ability to do its thing. Focusing is easy, it is coated, and is an excellent value for the money. The 121 angulons are a great value in a used lens as well.

Octogenarian

Hello Nghi,

From my experience with the Shen Hao HZX 45-IIA, as a first (and only lens) for both landscape and architectural photography, I would get a new Fujinon 125 CM-W f5.6. Used versions of these lenses are difficult to find. The older Fujinon 125W is more common on the used market, but it has a slightly smaller image circle. Although it would be O.K. for landscape, it probably would not be as good for architecture. Check with Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange (jim@mpex.com).