Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segway for mobility

Segway for mobility

Has anybody used a Segway for crowded/traffic congested areas? I'm thinking particularly of the Cades Cove loop of mind destroying traffic?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Segway for mobility

I assume you are not talking about that one-way road (Parson Branch Road) taking off from the Cove! LOL! Did that in a mini van several years ago.

NPS says..."Only bicycle and foot traffic are allowed on the loop road until 10:00 a.m. every Saturday and Wednesday morning from early May until late September". I wonder if a Segway would be allowed during that time period.

Is there a Segway trailer so I can pull my 8x10 kit?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Is there a Segway trailer so I can pull my 8x10 kit?
    no but you can hook up usual kids vagon and load it with gear.. thats what i do , even when not shooting LF but got to drag lighting on location or in / out of studio

I think next thing for those is to get usual electric car thingy and hook it up .. then it will be self propelling

I just got one of my knees replaced, and wondered about the practicility of a Segway in the future instead of my electric wheelchair.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Bill, I expect that a Segway would be OK, but the important thing is that the machines respond to how you lean. George W. Bush fell off of a Segway because he got on the scooter wrong. As for equipment, there is at least one commercial Segway trailer hitch system, and there's lot of photos of people towing a bicycle trailer.

Another alternative is a scooter, either a kick scooter, or something like a Razor electric scooter. I did see one elderly fellow on a kick scooter, moseying down the side of the road. I'm sure that it gave him a large boost over walking.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Just suck it up and swing your kit over your shoulder like a Continental soldier---foreward, march!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    If he had hired the Swedish Bikini team to carry him in a sedan chair instead, he'd likely still be with us.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    If he had hired the Swedish Bikini team to carry him in a sedan chair instead, he'd likely still be with us.
    I'm sure they have the sense not to walk off a cliff.