Thread: Gitzo G2220 Explorer

Gitzo G2220 Explorer

Any opinions about Gitzo G2220 Explorer (aluminum) tripods? I'm looking for something cheap-ish and light-ish that I can carry backpacking with my light Badger M2 4x5. Do you think this would be sturdy enough?

Gitzo G2220 Explorer

I had one briefly and used it for both my RB67 and my Linhof monorail. Plenty stiff for either camera, and the bottom of the rail has a hook that makes counterweighting easy. It was a nice tripod, probably best used with a ball head, but in the end I had to sell it because it was college and I needed film money and had managed to fix the tripod it was replacing.

So yeah, definite thumbs up on this tripod.

Gitzo G2220 Explorer

And by rail I mean center column. Thank you, that will be all.

Gitzo G2220 Explorer

Awesome tripod, very sturdy and well built. I've been wanting one (mostly for 35 mm) for two years, now, but it's not cheap, at least not that much... I've done a bit of research on it: all owners seem to be very satisfied and many report that it will keep steady a big SLR with a long tele lens. I'm not sure how heavy your gear is, but if it under 8-10 lbs, you should be all right.

To me, however, the real value of this tripod is its awesome versatility: you can set it up easily on the most rugged terrain, and tilt the "center" post almost any angle. To me, it sounds more like extreme 35 mm requirements than LF. A cheaper aluminium tripod would probably cover your needs just as well.

Gitzo G2220 Explorer

I bought one (as a more economical tripod vs. the carbon fiber) and have been pleased. I've used it with my F5, S2 (both with the 80-200 AFS beast -7#'s). Also with my Bronica ETR incl. motor winder, Stroboframe Pro-RL, Metz 60CT, 150mm lens, (about 9-10 lbs) and no problems. This is with the Gitzo 1276M head. I'd prefer and recommend a bigger (not heavier) head (base) for the MF or my future use for LF 4x5. Since it supports 13 lbs minus weight of whatever head, it will support any combination of gear about 11 lbs. or under. At under 5 lbs, not a bad compromise.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site