Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger

Enlarger

Hello,
    I need an enlarger that is capable of being used for 35mm, 6x6 medium format, and 5x4, 10x8 large format. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am aware I will need different lenses for it, but I just want to know what the most appropriate en would be.

I would like to spend no more than £800.

Thanks

Re: Enlarger

Whichever one is closest to pick up. My Fotar was $100.

Start asking your self right now if you are ok with multi-grade filters below the lens or need a system above the lens, cold light or condenser? This makes a big freakin difference in terms what is out there in the real world, not the "yeah man, just gooo for it!" LFPF world....

So it dosnt matter which format you want to use it for? My mother has an enlarger in the attic, she never used it for the larger formats though so I wasnt sure if I could.

Stanley!! Where have you been, and what does the Mask really symbolise in Eyes Wide Shut??
    I see you don't want to spend more than £800- so you're in the UK? I would think you need more than 1 enlarger. I print from 35mm to 5x4, and find it's just much easier to have one machine (Fujimoto) set up for small formats and another (LPL) set up for 5x4. Otherwise, you can be discouraged from shooting different formats by having to change the set up on the enlarger. Suspect a machine big enough for 10x8 would be a PITA to print 35mm.
    Ask around on www.fadu.co.uk - it's UK based. Second hand darkroom supplies (link from FADU) have 10x8 enlargers, but not at your price. E-bay in the UK sometimes has them, but the problem is nobody wants to ship them. Also, do you know about http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/ Another good place to enquire. Seems like there are often people off-loading gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kubrick View Post
    Hello,
    I need an enlarger that is capable of being used for 35mm, 6x6 medium format, and 5x4, 10x8 large format. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am aware I will need different lenses for it, but I just want to know what the most appropriate en would be.

I would like to spend no more than £800.

Thanks
    Stanley,

You have not directly indicated where you live, as that can make a difference. Given your use of 5x4 and 10x8, rather than the more conventional 4x5 and 8x10, I would guess the UK.

If you are not yet doing 10x8, then it might make more sense to first look for a 5x4 enlarger, as they are more common and can handle the smaller format quite well too. In North America, that would typically be a Omega or Beseler, or if you are lucky a Durst or DeVere. In the UK, you are have the Durst and DeVere enlargers, but you might have to spend more for them. It is not unusual to get a 5x4 enlarger given away.

The 10x8 enlargers typically lived in the domain of commercial photo labs, and with the changing of the industry to digital, they are becoming / have become surplus. Your best bet maybe to find a commercial lab closing down or make some inquiries with one still operating.

Word of warning though is like vinny's Fotar, my Durst L184 10x10 enlarger is massive and will require considerable ceiling height.

Good luck on your quest,

Len

You are 5 years to late ! At that time you could pick a 8 x 10 up at a closing lab for any thing between 0 and 1000 pound/dollar/euro. The feeling is that such times are in the past. A other point was that I and others have experienced that you needed to pick moor than one up to get a complete setup. These machines where neglected for years before they realized that it was time to get them out of the way. To give you a idea how big they are a durst 1840 weighs more than 350 kg.
    entertaining reading
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...wanted-to-know

Stanley, start with the enlarger in your mother's attic. Then you will know what to look for in a second enlarger.

I wouldn't shoot 35mm film in an 8x10 camera and wouldn't try to enlarge it in an 8x10 enlarger either. medium format enlargers are free or close to it here so I would get one of those, then a 8x10 if I was shooting that format. putting a 50mm lens on an 8x10 machine isn't very practical or possible with most machines due to the bellows/lens cones anyway. I use my omega d2 for 4x5 an smaller unless a huge print is needed that the d2 can't handle.

The most expensive requirement you listed is desire to enlarge from 8x10.

Otherwise, 4x5 enlargers are going to be well within your budget, and not too inconvenient for 35mm.

Choose wisely though, look for one that already has almost all the accessories and negative carriers you will need...