Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buying 4x5 field camera & accessories

buying 4x5 field camera & accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Teodor Oprean View Post
    It sounds feasible, but that depends on how many lenses you are looking for. "Some lenses" reminds me of Baldrick in an episode of Blackadder saying "some beans".
    If I've got two lenses and I add two more lenses, how many lenses have I got?

Re: buying 4x5 field camera & accessories

Quote Originally Posted by yuexiachou29 View Post
    I am considering to buy a 4x5 field camera + 10 film holders + some lenses + changing tent + other accessories
    I need recommendation for all these. Pricewise, I am willing to spend total $ 3,500
    Is that even possible?
    One thing we all forgot to ask myself included is what sort of photography do you do . Regards Gary

A Toyo Field View off Ebay and lenses, with all the other accessories shouldn't run half that. You'll need a 90mm and a 135, 210 and 300. You can get a convertible 210/370 symar for about 250.00. No problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0999.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	85900 Barn gates, Boxelder, Texas.

Check out ebay under Arca Swiss 4x5. 2 Schneider lenses and a host of other accessories available for $3000.00. Seems like a good offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "Rodenstock 150mm f/5.6 Grandagon-N: $400 (I think you can find these a bit cheaper)"

No such lens ever made. Do you mean one of the Sironar versions like the Apo Sironar N or the Sironar-N MC or the Sironar N?
    Yes, I meant the Rodenstock 150mm f/5.6 APO Sironar-N.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the wista RF in the classifieds, get 8 or 10 holders, and a modern 150mm in ex condition from KEH. That will leave you plenty for the little things and film. Once you know better what you like and how you want to work, you can find more lenses.

That's a great suggestion, Chris. The Seller, Ari, is a very active member too. I'm surprised The Wista has not sold. I guess everyone is broke due to Christmas.

What kind of photography do you plan on doing? Will it include long lenses, wide-angle lenses, or both?

This could make a difference in what you purchase.

You have a very generous budget & should have no trouble putting a kit together. If I can suggest anything...it would be to buy a 150mm, or 210, and decide on the other lenses later. Get a fairly clean lens in a modern shutter. In time you will decide whether you want modern plasmats or classic lenses and which lenses might fit your vision. Any modern field camera will do. Toyo field cameras are strong and reliable, the new Chamonix 45 are really sweet. In the end it's not about the camera, and the simpler the kit you put together the easier you may find your transition to LF.

Do yourself and your budget a favor and buy one lens at a time. Buy one in, say the 135-210mm range and don't buy another until your experience tells you which focal length to add. Seriously.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White