Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: buying 4x5 field camera & accessories

Preston Birdwell

Re: buying 4x5 field camera & accessories

Any modern field camera will do. Toyo field cameras are strong and reliable, the new Chamonix 45 are really sweet. In the end it's not about the camera, and the simpler the kit you put together the easier you may find your transition to LF.
    I agree with this. Move from the simple system to a more complex one as your skills and needs evolve.

Do yourself and your budget a favor and buy one lens at a time. Buy one in, say the 135-210mm range and don't buy another until your experience tells you which focal length to add. Seriously.
    Seriously.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

where would be the place to check out used stuff?

Thank you, Gary

portrait, urban landscape, etc. i don't do landscape that much though

Hello, i am not a lens expert. can you talk about the choices of 90mm and a 135, 210 and 300 lenses? Why are these focal lengths?

Hello everybody, thank you very much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I don't know most of the camera brands, lens brands neither, I fell like I should spend more time researching these basic knowledge and then dig into the process of selecting camera/lens.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Do yourself and your budget a favor and buy one lens at a time. Buy one in, say the 135-210mm range and don't buy another until your experience tells you which focal length to add. Seriously.
    This is excellent advice. Buy a used Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fujinon, or Caltar normal lens in a modern Copal shutter. Don't worry about brand. Look for condition and price. I recommend a 210mm for your first lens because they are versatile, have a lot of coverage, are plentiful and cheap.

I would look for a used camera. Very few people keep their first large format camera. They use it and learn from it what they really want.

The Large Format Photography for sale section is an excellent place to buy from. You can also check out KEH and of course Ebay.

Out of Plumb

If you plan on shooting b&w I'd also budget in some way to process your own film. BTZS Tubes, Mod54 are a couple of choices the enable you to "daylight" process your film. I'm sure there are other will chime in on processing. If you get hooked then a darkroom, enlarger more and more and more.
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

buying 4x5 field camera & accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the wista RF in the classifieds, get 8 or 10 holders, and a modern 150mm in ex condition from KEH. That will leave you plenty for the little things and film. Once you know better what you like and how you want to work, you can find more lenses.
    As a newbie 4x5 shooter I think this is excellent advice. Get a good basic kit, learn to use it and then add to it as need/desire dictates. Having too much unfamiliar gear can make for frustrating outings. Go easy to begin and build up as you go.

Enjoy the trip!

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.