Thread: Feisol mounting stud conversion

Feisol mounting stud conversion

The big Feisols (3371, 3472 etc.) all have a 3/8 -16 mounting stud in the top plate. Has anyone had direct experience in coming up with a clean way to convert this to a 1/4 -20 mounting stud? Feisol apparently offers no replacement plate with the smaller stud and a ball head or other device to transition is not an option for me. Thanks. - Chris

Drew Wiley

Re: Feisol mounting stud conversion

Mine has a removable round center plate held in place with three set screws. This is real
    nice because, this way, you can switch things out if needed. I wanted a 3/8-16 thru bolt,
    but in principle it would have been just as easy to have done 1/4-20. Actually, instead or
    using a conventional turn knob, I used a stainless eyebolt and slightly opened up the ring
    so I could have my meter or a mesh bag of rocks etc from it. The thread is held in place
    using stainless E-clips and teflon washers, which I acquired from McMaster. I've done a
    number of these kinds of tripod conversions for personal use.

Drew, I think I understand your approach - did you bore out the 3/8 - 16 threads where the eye bolt penetrates the plate so that it spins freely while it engages the camera socket? Do you carry the eye bolt loose? I can see this as a solution with a 1/4 -20 since the hole in the plate is already big enough. Or did you grind out a section of the eye bolt threading so that it is free to spin once the leading threads clear the plate threading? That wouldn't work for me unless I can find a 3/8 to 1/4 thread reducing bushing. I guess it's time to consult the manual of many things - McMaster-Carr. Thanks. -Chris

Drew Wiley

Can't remember exactly, but at one point I did bore it out. It's important to fully capture
    the bolt. Maybe e-clip is the wrong term, but it's the category. The actual type should
    spin onto the thread, but be spring stainless steel, much thinner than an ordinary nut.
    Delrin or teflon washers can be used both as spacers and anti-friction devices above and
    below the plate. Also - I did use a bit of delrin hard tubing to line the bore, so it wouldn't
    wear over time. In other words, I bored it out oversized, then added a liner with a suitable
    internal diameter for the turnbolt. I build these things to last, immune to all kinds of wear
    and weather.