Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: AA’s “Trailer Camp Children” – a closer look at the psychology

Drew Wiley

Re: AA’s “Trailer Camp Children” – a closer look at the psychology

It's easy to pontificate when you see the image on the web or in a so-so reproduction. But the dude could print. THAT'S what separates him from the 'My Grandchildren" crowd. Leave the web prognostications for the corn syrup generation. We geezers should know better. Or if you have twenty grand, just buy a vintage print yourself and then you can say anything you wish. I happen to find the image compelling. It a bit classical in its sense of composition, and that's not
    easy to do on the fly. Not like oil painting.

2 Bit Hack

I look at the three as a group, not individuals. They are obviously familiar with each other and find comfort and safety in being together. Once together as under an umbrella, the two girls survey their surroundings unsure of the event. The unity of the three is expressed in the querying of their surrounds, but only after safety......at least that is what the images says to me about the group.

The shot is obviously a snapshot and lacks the composition and lighting details one would normally expect from an AA print. But I think that is what makes this work. The contrast brings the cleanliness, or lack there of, to the forefront re-enforcing social expectation of "Trailer Park".

From a technical view point, I have none. Who am I to judge or question the master. It is as it is because of AA's designs.
    Regards

Marty

Drew Wiley

Nonsense. Look at some of AA's other group portraits. He obviously studied more classical figure composition techniques from the olden painters than one might initial suspect. After all, even he began by being influenced by the Pictorialists, who were heavily rooted in pre-Raphaelite formal composition. We are all entitled
    to form our own opinion. But this is no random shot. I has been both published and exhibited quite a bit. There must be a reason. And although Art History classes
    bored me, I see it.