Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking into G Claron lenses

Looking into G Claron lenses

Hi all, I'm thinking about lightening my lens and was looking at the G Clarons. Right now I've got a 210mm Nikkor W and was thinking about tracking a Claron down just for saving a little weight. Would there be any advantages besides this? Thanks to any input!

Re: Looking into G Claron lenses

darker image on the ground glass.

I've got a fresnel installed so I'm not too worried about that. I used to own the 305 G Claron when I had an 8x10 and it did just fine too. I remember that the G Claron is single coated? I rarely shoot into direct light so would that make any difference?

I think some are multi coated. I'm no copy lens expert though.

Drew Wiley

They are superb lenses and the single-coating is almost never an issue. They are optimized
    for closeup work, but also are quite precise clear out to inifinity. The published image circles are really with reference to copy work, and in general photographic use are much
    larger. The slightly darker viewing is also another non-issue unless you're photographing
    caves. G-Clarons are popping up at good prices at the moment. If you want something
    equivalent that's multi-coated, it would be a Fuji A, but they don't offer a 210, only a 180
    and 240. I can barely tell the difference between shots taken with my 240A and 250 G,
    except a tiny bit more contrast from the A. Compared to your Nikkor W, the G-Claron will
    likely be crisper with close-up work, besides the smaller size.

Sounds good, I'm starting to do more close up/macro photography but am unsure if I need to invest in a macro lens just yet.

My 150 g-claron is my favorite lens, winning more affection than my Schneider XL 110mm or Fuji A 240. It’s tiny and light – of course, armchair photographers will tell field photographers that its smaller specs just don’t make much difference when you consider the total weight of your gear bag, but don’t let them fool you. The psychological benefit of this lighter, smaller, sharp lens makes a significant difference when you’re in the mountains making images. It’s a joy to pack, a joy to carry, a joy to handle, a joy to use – whether your subject is close-up, in the middle distance, or at infinity.

1) Close-up cactus
    Tachi 4x5
    Schneider 150mm/9 g-claron
    Velvia-50 (refrigerated old version)
    1/250th @ f/22 (effective approx. f/32)
    Ries J-600 tripod w/ Manfrotto 488rc2 ball head
    Manfrotto 454 micrometric sliding plate (w/ rc2 connection)
    Synced w/ ancient Nikon SB-22s speedlight (hand-held)
    Flash metered w/ Sekonic 308s
    +1 ev flash compensation for snow-white fibers
    And finally (pant), Epson 4990/Epson scan

2) Rushing creek in Wyoming (or “crick,” as they say)
    Tachi 4x5
    Schneider 150mm/9 g-claron
    Astia 100-F
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cactus.jpg   Mountain river.jpg  

Those are both lovely, Heroique. Could you take a 100% crop of a really detailed spot of one of them? I'm interested in g-clarons, too, and would be interested in that view.

Drew Wiley

They were never multicoated, Chris. But it doesn't make any difference. There were a few
    odd designs for graphics use; but the ones sold in modern field shutters are quite versatile
    with big image circles. I particularly use the 250 on both 4x5 and 8x10 under all kinds of
    lighting conditions and never have an issue with flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    They were never multicoated, Chris. But it doesn't make any difference. There were a few
    odd designs for graphics use; but the ones sold in modern field shutters are quite versatile
    with big image circles. I particularly use the 250 on both 4x5 and 8x10 under all kinds of
    lighting conditions and never have an issue with flare.
    OK, thanks for the clarification on the coating. As you say, it's not a very functional difference. I have lenses coated different ways and I can rarely see a difference that's not probably more attributable to being an entirely different lens than coating being better or worse.