Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind

Wind

For all LF fun hogs out in the western USA, I pose this question: Have you encountered more wind the last few years than in the decades past? Could be all this global warming, or just that I notice the wind more now that I'm shooting more LF, but it seems that it the number of calm days without the wind howling are fewer than in the 1980s and 1990s. Some of my other friends have noticed the same thing, having entire trips ruined by non-stop wind. Like one past post sez, just pulling out the dark slide sets off a chain reaction of natural event resulting in wind.

JD

Wind

I was actually thinking this year was really mild, wind wise, infact I was talking about it this morning with coworkers. In this part of N. Arizona if you do not get the top layer of skin sand-blasted off your face during the beginning of spring something is wrong.

Wind

Robert,

There is always a lot of breaking wind during an election year ! ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Wind

John,

They're politicians... they ALWAYS have wind gusts. :>)

And, not necessarily only during an election year! :>)))

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Wind

Jokes aside, yes I feel too that it has been windier in the last few years not to mention the Death of Light (for color photographers). The so called Golden Hours of the afternoon turned into a stark, sad affair.

While I am at it, there hadn’t been many spectacular sunrises/sunsets for quite a few years. If I remember correctly it had all gone haywire at about 1997. We do need another volcanic eruption…soon!

Fall Colors? Oh well.

Eric Woodbury

Wind

Seems less windy here in the mountains of SoCal. I live in a mountain pass and usually by this time of year we have our earplugs in. It's actually been nice. Try using 400 speed film, that helps. Otherwise, wait 'til fall.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Wind

"just pulling out the dark slide sets off a chain reaction of natural event resulting in wind. "

Well, it makes a change from that blasted butterfly that keeps causing hurricanes by flapping it's wings half the world away...

Seriously, try a collapsible brolly: works wonders as a wind breaker (and you can always use it to wack any passing politicians over the head).

Cheers,

Wind

It's the inverse square law, the wind increases in proportion to the square inches of film you are trying to expose.

Wind

And of course it was always better in the Good Old Days... when WH Jackson and Timothy O'Sullivan took their wet-plate mammoth cameras out to the west, the wind didn't blow at all.

Wind

I am convinced by the preponderence of scientific evidence that a modest degree of global warming has taken place in the past 150 years, and that it has accelerated in the past 30 years. Moreover, the evidence is very strong that a sizeable part of this warming is due to the buildup of CO_2 and other greenhouse gases. There is also some evidence due to the Thomas Karl and others that 'extreme events' in weather have been occurring with greater frequency. So, your observation might reflect reality and also might be attributuable to greater variability in weather. Strong winds tend to occur when weather is changing.

On the other hand, while the global effect on climate seems fairly well established, it is very difficult to tie local or regional changes in day to day weather to these global changes. There is quite a lot of local and regional variability anyway. It may be windier where you are, or even over the entire US, but this might be balanced out by calmer weather elsewhere in the world. So the best you can say is that your observation is a 'straw in the wind', which might or might not be happening more often than by pure randomness and might or might not be attributable to global climate change.

Of course, we haven't seen the full effect of buildup in greenhouse gases which is in the works. CO_2 levels have only increased about 30 percent over pre-industrial times. If, as expected, we continue as a species to add greenhouse gases to the atmosphere at an every increasing rate, these levels will double or more in the next 50-100 years. Such a major perturbation in the level of gases which control the radiation balance of the earth is likely to produce significant changes in climate.

Unfortunately, our politicians seem to be interested in minimizing the risks of climate change rather than adopting policies which might deal with it.