Thread: Source for Huge Lens Caps

Source for Huge Lens Caps

I recently obtained a (really huge) B&L 14x17 Tessar - unfortunately, the lens did not come with lens caps. Does anyone know where I can obtain really large lens caps? (or some ideas for rigging / manufacturing my own?) I initially figured there must be large caps out there for big 35mm telephotos but they seem to be an expensive special order item with scant specifications and no guarantee of compatibility. My small local shop doesn't have access to anything of the size required (~5") in generic brands and checking the websites of "the usual suspects" I see nothing listed. I have seen really large diameter Tiffen filters so I am guessing there must be a source out there somewhere for really large aftermarket caps - Anyone? Will I have to take the lens to the supermarket next time I buy coffee to match the lid?!

It so happens that the lid off a Haggen Daaz (sp ?) ice-cream container fit the Lee filter adapter ring, so your coffee lid idea ain't so daft.

If you have some cash, SK Grimes will make you a nice one, but they're not cheap ....

What you are looking for is PVC in correct size according to Grimes site:

http://www.skgrimes.com/caps/index.htm

Measure the size correctly (several times), or make a copy out of cardboard to carry around, and maybe a sewage end could fit?

Øyvind

Kaiser has very large plastic caps and Novoflex makes the large metal push-in caps for large Canon and Nikon lenses. Your dealer should be able to order them if he is in the US.

Try the nice folks at Equinox Photo:

http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/lenscap.htm

Schneider makes pretty massive caps, I bought a 125mm cap for a huge Petzval. Many places, like B&H or 2filter.com stock them. Not as nice as SK Grimes's caps, but significantly cheaper.

Well.....my B&L 11x14 Tessar IIb came with a vintage lenscap :-) but it was easy to see how it was made - the black lacquer it had been painted with was flaking off. After three or four attempts, I can now produce rather nice lenscaps for these and other venerable giants (How about a nice 18" Verito?)

I use thin felt as a liner, thin Bristol board (posterboard) for support, and a product called, "microsuede" (available from local fabric stores) as a covering, rather than lacquer.

Cut some 1/2 inch (12mm) strips of board and felt, a bit longer than the outside circumference of the lens. Wrap a piece of felt snuggly around the lens and cut it so that the ends meet exactly. Glue about half of it to a strip of board and let it dry. Wrap it back around the lens so that you can see where the board needs to be cut. When I do this, I arrange for the seams to fall in different places, i.e., glue only the last six inches of felt to the first six inches of board. When you've measured and cut the board, glue the remainder of the felt to the board. Wrap a rubber band around the board and let it set.

Now, take the lens and ring and turn them upside down. The ring should fit tightly enough that it doesn't fall off (you've taken the rubber band off, haven't you?). Put it down on a piece of Bristol board and mark the circle it covers. Cut out the circle and glue some felt to it.

Then come the exciting part - the covering material holds the ring and lid together. I usually cut a big circle of microsuede and glue it to the lid. After it dries, I start gluing the edges to the sides. The problem you run into is that you have too much material (topology wizards, help me out here). I glue a section, then clip out some excess material, then glue another section. I finally glue a 1/2 inch wide strip of microsuede on top of this, so that the uneven sections don't show.

Through all of this, the neater you can be in cutting and gluing, the finer-looking the finished product will be. My better ones usually used double layers of felt and Bristol board. There's no necessity to use a covering material (unless you want to get rid of some of those old silk ties in your closet) - double layer the felt and butt-glue the ring and lid together.

OK, my turn to ask a question: somewhere in the back of my head, a little alarm bell went off when I considered sealing up my lenses in a stuffy atmosphere of curing glue. Are vapors from the curing process of different types of glue injurous to the glass or coatings on lenses?

Thanks Charles! I think I will try to make a few. Nothing nicer than a leather(ette) lens cap, particularly if you are using it as a shutter.

Jim Ewins

I've used leather rather than the materials Charles Ewen used. I cut a peice of 1/4" for the top and wrap a piece of 1/16" around it, scarfing for an overlap. After all is trimmed up, glue (leather glue) the 1/16" piece to the top holing it in place with straight pins. I used to dye'em black but the solvents could do harm.