Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Special Order Film Window?

Ilford Special Order Film Window?

I am wanting a supply of 3&1/4 x 4&1/4 film for my Speed Graphic. Yes, I know, why? It's nostalgic. It's what my father used and I use his camera to take pics during the holidays (with flash bulbs) as a kind of a remembrance. I know that Ilford does a run of special cuts each year. My question is when is the next window. Anyone know?

Lachlan 717

Re: Ilford Special Order Film Window?

Middle of next year.

Sorry...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

You might be surprised at what a big retailer can get from Ilford's US distributor. A year or so ago I called Glazer's Photo in Seattle off-cycle and they were able to get me whole plate film drop-shipped from their distributor in about 4 days time. It can't hurt to ask.

Peter Gomena

Freestyle doesn't carry Ilford sheet films in 9x12cm size, but since the demise of Efke I have learned that they can get it from the UK (where it is still a standard, non-special order item) pretty quickly. The cost, though, is pretty high even compared to 4x5. Freestyle may also be able to get film in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 for you from Europe. Can't hurt to ask.

Jonathan

Johnathan 9x12cm as you correctly say is not an Ilford special order size but 3 1/4x41/4 inch unfortunately is and the best bit is yet to come. It's 73 quid for a box of 25 and that is before postage. Freestyle still have some quarter plate film listed or they did the last time I checked about 2 weeks ago. Lumiere de have Wephota 25 and 100ASA listed at about 30 Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hesketh View Post
    Johnathan 9x12cm as you correctly say is not an Ilford special order size but 3 1/4x41/4 inch unfortunately is and the best bit is yet to come. It's 73 quid for a box of 25 and that is before postage. Freestyle still have some quarter plate film listed or they did the last time I checked about 2 weeks ago. Lumiere de have Wephota 25 and 100ASA listed at about 30 Euros.
    Ouch! Good to know, thanks. I have some 3.25 x 4.25 holders, but for that price I might as well shoot Arista.EDU Ultra in 8x10!

Jonathan

Quarter plate film works out rather expensive because it's on the ULF run, you might try Wephota film which is readily available.

Ian

That last post of mine upon rereading it sounds critical of Ilford. That was not my intention. A few years ago I had a conversation with Ilford , this was before the special order window arrangement came into place about possibile minimum order requirements for them to cut some quarter plate film for me. It was some time ago and I forget the details but a very frank discussion ensued about the costs involved which were substantial. I did consider briefly the possibility of getting them to specially cut some for me and then to sell on what I did not need for myself. I decided upon reflection though that it was not after all that important to me. I did not want to have to become a film salesperson in order to be able to use the film of my choice. Having had an insight into the costs involved I think we should be grateful to Ilford for making this film available in this size at all.

Maybe now some of the competition has gone from this market they might consider making it a non special order item.

Ilford Special Order Film Window?

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to cut some 4 x 5 film down in the darkroom. I've done it in the past successfully but I really hoped to avoid doing that. It's a real pain. When Efke produced it the cost was the same as for 4x5.

As 9x12cm film gets more scarce (and more expensive) I am thinking of mounting my favorite lenses from my German folding cameras onto Speed Graphic boards so I can shoot them with 4x5 film which, because of the low demand for 9x12 and 3.25 x 4.25, is more affordable. It's sad, because I absolutely love my ICA Universal Palmos 9x12. It is smaller and lighter than the Speed Graphic, has more movements, has interchangeable lenses and a revolving back. The only thing working against it is its film size.

Jonathan