Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Zone VI Type 2 Variable Contrast Enlarger, any advice for new user?

Re: Zone VI Type 2 Variable Contrast Enlarger, any advice for new user?

Well, Robert, you're making me feel good about spending the money for a Durst 138.

Beat you to it, did that 23 years ago! Had both a Type 1 & Type 2, hated them both. L

My thought on this was to use an Omega D extension and try to find an adapter to mate the two diameters. But, I ended up jumping on a Zone VI Type II extension listed on EBay by Quality Camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    This is how I built my focusing wand. First I removed the original focusing knob.
    I replaced it with hex attachment to the 1/4"shaft.
    Attachment 131264
    Next I used a 90 degree drive from millscraft
    Attachment 131265
    Next a screw driver with removable hex drive heads.
    Attachment 131266
    You can add any length of extension for what ever height you need.
    Attachment 131267
    This makes focusing very easy and when you are ready for the exposure everything disconnects and is out of the way. This works on a type I Zone VI, I don't know if the type II has the same focusing shaft.

Fred et.al. designed the Type 1; Calumet designed the Type II to correct some deficiencies of the Type I after they purchased Zone VI.

One of the Type I deficiencies was that it didn't cover 5x7, even though Fred Picker sold it as such. Calumet's Zone VI lead told me that it was originally designed as a 4x5 enlarger with an oversized head.

My problem with the Type I, was that it did not have consistent contrast print to print, or especially, session to session. I suppose that the compensating timer would correct for overall exposure, but it couldn't correct for the fact that the green and blue lights could vary independently from each other. Calumet tried to fix this by installing a compensating circuit for each of the two colors. I could have resorted to split printing to solve this problem and exposed the two colors individually. But, I don't really care for split printing.

For me, long exposures was not a problem for the Type I. The control box was big and heavy, I believe because they contained heavy duty power sources. I had no problem enlarging 35mm negatives with my Type I. Calumet put much lighter power sources in the Type II head itself, and I believe this restricted the intensity of light that could be produced.

Anyway, I now use my Zone VI Type II with a Beseler 45s head using an adapter produced by Zone VI. The 45s head and the Zone VI chassis make a nice combination for what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hoyt View Post
    I remember when I bought my Zone VI Type 2 enlarger used, WOW I thought I had a real gem. I did make some very good prints, the exposures were a little long; changing contrast with the controller was a joy, instead of filters. Then one day I saw an add for a Ferrante Cold Light that would fit my Beseler; a "give-a-way" on Craigslist. Since my first print with the Ferrante system, I have not fired-up the Zone VI. It sits in my darkroom and I just have no interest in fussing with the long exposures. Fred knew how to sell in a catalogue, his words and pictures would make photographers drool, and he did provide items in the beginning that were not easily available, but his "own" products were more hype than reality. For me, printing with a variable contrast light source is the only way I hope print while I can, and the field is getting awfully narrow. It's the only reason I still have the Zone VI enlarger. If something happens to my Ferrante head, it is back to long exposures and constant refocusing as the enlarger head slips or settles.