Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Format Printers

Wide Format Printers

Hello,

I am looking into getting a wide format printer something along the lines of this...
    http://www.adorama.com/IESSP9900HDR....FUjZQgodZncACg

I am looking for any advise or comments concerning these style printers as I have very little experience
    with these.

Namely, is it worth it?
    What variety of papers would I be able to print on?
    What is the image quality like? How about for B&W any good?

Or should I look into a Canon or similar?

Thanks in advance!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Re: Wide Format Printers

The epsons are very very good. Whether it's worth it depends on how much you need to print. If you print a small volume and sizes, a cheaper epson might provide the same good image quality but at a higher ink cost. If you print big or often, the big epsons like this are a safe choice. With the big printers , you are paying for quality construction, economical volume printing, and a good reputation in inkjet printing. It will print on about anything that will go through it.

I've got a 7600 model I don't use enough and it's clogged up. Whatever you get, use it often.

Unless you are going to make a lot of prints you are far better off sending your images to someone who knows what they are doing. This is especially true if you are starting at zero.

I'm not sure what you mean by "looking into"--if you are just getting into inkjet in general the huge printers are probably too much too fast. An Epson 3880 is a great printer, easy to use, makes nice prints up to 17x22, great black and white, and not too expensive...

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "looking into"--if you are just getting into inkjet in general the huge printers are probably too much too fast. An Epson 3880 is a great printer, easy to use, makes nice prints up to 17x22, great black and white, and not too expensive...

--Darin
    Ditto-buy a refurbished one from Epson and learn the ropes.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I just checked the Epson Store and you can buy a new Epson 3880 for $800 even, after $300 mail in rebate and 15% site-wide holiday discount (GIFT15). That's free shipping and a full set of inks, of course. A very nice deal...

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I just checked the Epson Store and you can buy a new Epson 3880 for $800 even, after $300 mail in rebate and 15% site-wide holiday discount (GIFT15). That's free shipping and a full set of inks, of course. A very nice deal...

--Darin
    That is a bargain. To buy a full set of inks for it here in Australia would cost $800 alone.

This is going to be contrary to what everyone else is saying. But, if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, have access to drum scan quality files and are sure you're in it for the long term, buy that sucker! My first printer was the Epson 7600 (great printer) I was satisfied and thought the prints couldn't look better. I set up my new Epson 9900 last week, and wish I would have been printing larger much sooner than this. What a waste to have had the technology all along and not using it. This machine with files from drum scans and the Eversmart supreme look alot different than most prints made by digital capture. And the prints do look better, than from the 7600, with the darker blacks the contrast is nice. You don't have to use 44" paper right away, start out with 11" or 17" and take good workshops on printing with knowledgable people like Charles Cramer.
    Good Luck
    Thad Gerheim

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Gerheim View Post
    This is going to be contrary to what everyone else is saying. But, if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, have access to drum scan quality files and are sure you're in it for the long term, buy that sucker!
    Exactly what I was thinking, plus it is difficult to print 44" on a 3880!

Thanks all for the help, I will probably end up getting one in the new year...

But, my question still is would it be better (cheaper ink?) to go with a Epson or a Canon?

I am leaning toward Epson as I have had experience with it, but would like to hear some good arguments for Canon as well.

And no, I am not getting into inkjet from scratch!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

I have both cannon and epson ,, both excellent choices, go with the best deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking, plus it is difficult to print 44" on a 3880!

Thanks all for the help, I will probably end up getting one in the new year...

But, my question still is would it be better (cheaper ink?) to go with a Epson or a Canon?

I am leaning toward Epson as I have had experience with it, but would like to hear some good arguments for Canon as well.

And no, I am not getting into inkjet from scratch!