Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 accept a refurbished?

Epson V700 accept a refurbished?

I mentioned here that a brand new V700 is giving me some weird blue marks. An Epson supervisor (in Philippines is offering a refurbished, but not a new replacement). The unit is four months old. If was defective out of the box. Would you settle for that? I know what refurbished is, but it could have a thousand hours of use on it.

PS, BH photo cannot do much, but they say, by email, Epson should make an exception.

Re: Epson V700 accept a refurbished?

You don't display your country of residence. Warranty language/rules/limits vary by country.
    Either a new replacement, at little or no cost to you, or return for complete refund.

Marc

I think ep$on does that with most of the crap they sell. ask them to at least clean the glass first too.

Funny Vinny!

thanks Marc B. I'm in US. This guy at tech / supervisor said he would check with his higher ups and then called me back (I was out), and he left a voicemail, that he did not get approval for a replacement for a new machine, just refurbished. I had his email (and a case number), but he wont reply to my emails. I did email to him that this is ridiculous. Do you both agree it's worth fighting for a new machine over a refurbished? I can't get money back because I'm out of the 30 day period for that.

Normally a warranty is for "repair or replacement, at the manufacturer's discretion", and it only covers "defects in materials or workmanship". As far as Epson is concerned, your scanner could have a thousand hours on it, too.

A reasonable alternative would be for them to actually repair your scanner and send it back to you. But that will take as long as it takes. That's what the warranty obligates them to do, though. Getting a refurb is a means of turning it around more quickly, but I think in your shoes I might still insist that they repair your unit and send it back to you. Normally, you will be expected to cover shipping--that's also part of the usual warranty.

It's a trade-off. The refurb will be in your hands more quickly, and you won't have to argue with Epson about what is wrong--they'll just refurb what you send back to them and give it to someone else in the same shoes. The alternative is that you wait for them to determine what's wrong, and then decide whether to repair or replace it for you. You may also run the risk that they want to argue about what's wrong.

I'm holding in my hands a hard disk I bought from New Egg, which was DOA. Yes, I'm having to pay $12 to ship it back to them. That's the risk inherent in mailorder, opposite the reward of the lower price. The alternative is to spend more in a brick and mortar store, so that if there is a problem, you can at least address the issue in person.

Rick "yes, it sucks" Denney

Thanks Rick,
    yes I can ship it for repair to Culver city. (bit too far to drive for me) The round trip could cost $30 to $35 at least.
    The refurb is easier, they pay both ways I think.
    Based on the machine has been used very little, what would you do?.
    Currently, I think I've done the scanning I need for this last project so I could probably be without it for awhile.
    The guy in Philippines knows what is wrong as I sent him some photos, I could do the same with a repair shop.
    And what do you think of refurbished?

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    And what do you think of refurbished?
    I bought mine as a refurbished model from Epson's discount store, if that answers your question, heh.

Rick "bought my 3800 printer the same way" Denney

In your shoes, if I could do without it, I'd send it back to be repaired. If I couldn't wait, I'd take the refurb.

Rick, that does not answer at all because the refurbished come at a huge discount because it's been used massively. (I buy refurbished to sometimes and would have bought this refurbished if it had been out there)

I think Roger is putting himself more in the shoes of one who bought new.

BTW, if they did agree to send one new, how would know it was indeed new?

And do you agree the are being idiots not answering emails and just doing what is right?

It isn't at all uncommon for things returned under warranty to be repaired and used as replacement parts - I'd probably say it's the most common way of doing things. In the event a returned item isn't repairable, it might be broken down into component parts and the non-defective parts either used as is for product repair, or if the parts are valuable enough, being refurbed at the part level and then used as repair parts.

Also, "repair or replace" is normally at the maker's discretion unless there is some specific statement, contract term, or regulation to the contrary.

We make high precision mechanisms that our customer integrates into complete products and when one of their products is returned it is broken down into its major sub-assemblies and the failing part replaced with a new or used part and put in stock for use as a replacement unit. If our sub-assembly is the failing component it comes back to us and if it's within our warranty period to our customer we credit back the price paid for the component. refurb it, and resell it to our customer to be used for repairs. If the part is out of our warranty period our customer pays for the refurb activity. In our case our warranty period to our customer is shorter than their warranty to their customer. It's all very tricky and a lot of work goes into deciding the most cost effective mutual balancing of warranty periods based on analysis of field failure patterns. If the failing part is made by one of our suppliers and is sufficiently valuable, we have a similar process with our suppliers under which they warranty parts to us and repair/replace/refurb, etc.