Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof or Sinar?

Linhof or Sinar?

I have a bit of a dilemma. My own camera system of many years is a Linhof Bi-Kardan. I haven't used it much lately to be honest (prefer 8x10 wooden cameras for wetplate etc). But now, a good friend is getting rid of his 4x5 gear (a Sinar P2 in decent shape). Since I used to be his assistant, I know the gear inside out. The fleah in my ear is telling me to maybe buy the Sinar myself and divulging of the Linhof. Lunacy, crazy talk? What would YOU do? Keep the Linhof or dumping it in favour of the Sinar?

Re: Linhof or Sinar?

Keep the Linhof.

They are both obviously very fine cameras. What would the Sinar allow you to do that the Linhof won't?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

The Sinar is a very nice camera, but Linhof is better IMO.
    Bill McMannis

Good points. The Linhof was my first LF camera, bought it for college. It feels more solid and rugged than the Sinar, however the Sinar is easier to operate (yaw free, "DoF estimator"). I better have a good night's sleep over it ... don't want to rush for a decision.

Why not have both?

Presumably you know the Linhof well, from long experience with it. Using it is probably second nature; your hand has grown to fit the tool. That doesn't show up on the spec sheet but it's important. I think Sinars are excellent, I use one, but not enough better that the Kardan Bi that the learning curve would be worth the effort. YRMV, of course.

Can he loan you the Sinar for a month or so?--after all, I bet selling stuff just before Christmas isn't going to fetch the highest prices. Have him loan it to you, see what you actually use in practice, and sell it for him (your "fee" for the rental is taking care of the sale for him, since I'm guessing he isn't an internet guy).

--Darin

I think Darin's got the right idea. Until you use it for a bit you won't be sure which fits you. Personally I like the Sinar, but that's my bias since it's what I learned on and did commercial work with.
    Having said that, now I mostly use a Technika. In the end, they all work, just find the one you're most comfortable with. If after using it for a month you'd rather use the linhof, keep the linhof.
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Can he loan you the Sinar for a month or so?--after all, I bet selling stuff just before Christmas isn't going to fetch the highest prices. Have him loan it to you, see what you actually use in practice, and sell it for him (your "fee" for the rental is taking care of the sale for him, since I'm guessing he isn't an internet guy).

--Darin
    +1