Thread: Question on Gitzo Tripods - Systematic Vs Non

Question on Gitzo Tripods - Systematic Vs Non

Hi all,

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to tell me the difference between the Gitzo Systematic and the non Systematic. I'm not sure If I am using the terminology correctly here and I hope you understand what I am asking.

I would be using it for a Sinar P 4x5 and two that I am looking at are the GT3330LS vs the GT3340L.

• Other than not having a center post, is there any other differences between the two?
    • Why would I want the systematic over the non systematic?

It's hard to tell looking at pictures on the internet and I'm nowhere close to a shop that has models to see in person.

Appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

Re: Question on Gitzo Tripods - Systematic Vs Non

The second one, with a center column and four sections, is much less rigid. I wouldn't recommend it for LF.

Quote Originally Posted by swilf View Post
    The second one, with a center column and four sections, is much less rigid. I wouldn't recommend it for LF.
    For real? I mean, I agree that four leg sections is usually going to be a little more noodly than three, and that a center column can make a tripod less stable, but it's still rated to 40 lbs and I wouldn't hesitate to use it with *any* 4x5, up to and including something like a Sinar P.

But back to the OP's question - the Systematic tripods have a locking collar at the top of the tripod where the legs attach. This allows you to use a flat plate to mount the tripod head, as well as to swap out the flat plate to use either a rapid or geared column. With non-systematic tripods, you're pretty much stuck with the tripod in whatever configuration it happened to be manufactured. If you've got a rapid column, you're stuck with a rapid column, etc. The diameter of the columns is different between the different series, but consistent within the same series. Put another way, something like a series 3 flat plate (for example) will fit any series-3 systematic tripod, but would be too small to fit a series 5. The larger the series, the greater the leg diameter as well, as one would expect with higher load capacities.

I'm going to go take a couple photos of one of my tripods to illustrate what I'm talking about a bit better. Back in a bit.

Aaaaand I'm back. Check out the attached photo showing the flat plate and the top of the tripod, and to see how it works more in-depth, check out this blog post I've just put up illustrating it. I hope that helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	84885

This is excellent Dave, I read you blog post. And if I understand correctly, the Systematic is a convertible system with many options that can be built upon. However the other tripod, with the center column, is only "EVER" a tripod with a center column.

That gives me plenty to think about and plan accordingly.

Thank you very much for the time you put in on this.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JBelthoff View Post
    ...if I understand correctly, the Systematic is a convertible system with many options that can be built upon. However the other tripod, with the center column, is only "EVER" a tripod with a center column.
    Yup. That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBelthoff View Post
    Thank you very much for the time you put in on this.
    No prob. I was actually happy to have something to be productive with early on my day off!

I'm with Dave on this one.

I have to say that the locking legs are great. What a difference. One doesn't have to lock all the other collars down to open one up, etc. It makes it much easier....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Saratoga, CA

Quote Originally Posted by swilf View Post
    I use a Gitzo GT3541L with my 4x5 Ebony and it is rock solid and even when I use a 720mm lens I have had no problems.

Mr.Gale