Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flickr as Home Server

Re: Flickr as Home Server

David: That doesn't work. Before I even posted the question, I tried to do that. I grabbed the HTML code from Flickr, pasted it into the "Reply to Thread" option in the Images thread, but it wasn't recognized, i.e. the reply just displayed the full HTML code itself. (I tried it both just pasting the code in, and then using the HTML indicators in front of, and behind the code; in both cases the HTML is simply displayed on the screen as text.)
    Last edited by Peter Lewin; 10-Dec-2012 at 12:16. Reason: tried, a second effort at linking, still no luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    David: That doesn't work. Before I even posted the question, I tried to do that. I grabbed the HTML code from Flickr, pasted it into my "quick reply" in the Images thread, but it wasn't recognized, i.e. the reply just displayed the full HTML code itself.
    You can't just paste the link in. You need to click on the "Insert Image" button (3rd from right), then paste the URL into the "from URL" tab

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    You can't just paste the link in. You need to click on the "Insert Image" button (3rd from right), then paste the URL into the "from URL" tab
    Greg: Please see my earlier post. The only URL I can get from Flickr is the URL of the page with the imbedded image, not the image itself. So I can't use that one in the "from URL tab". And I can't make the HTML work either. Are you linking from Flickr? Their FAQ says specifically that they no longer give you the URL to the sized images, apparently there was a change of policy at some point. I think I really need instructions from someone who is posting their images from Flickr in this thread, because I see people are doing it, I just can't figure out how.

Sure you can paste the link straight from the Flickr code. There's no need to do the "insert image". The only thing is you need to grab the BBcode not the HTML.
    I'll post an image shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Sure you can paste the link straight from the Flickr code. There's no need to do the "insert image". The only thing is you need to grab the BBcode not the HTML.
    Success! A million thanks, the right answer is "BBcode." Now why that information can't be posted in an instruction or sticky somewhere is beyond me, but I'm only complaining because I feel foolish for having had to ask the question so often, when the answer is simple once you know it! My first "proper" image is now in the Urban Landscapes thread, now I can actually post images, not just words! (I did have some older images on the LFPF server, but they looked so muddy that I was embarrassed by them!) Thanks again, to everyone who took the time to respond, and to Ramiro Elena (apologies for not knowing which is your first name, Spanish typically reverses them) for the final answer!

No sweat Peter
    I've mentioned it a couple times already. There should be a sticky. You're not the first one having problems displaying images.

Ramiro

Yes Peter grab the BBcode. It took me a while to figure that out also. Indeed there ought to be sticky instructions about the various posting techniques somewhere here. I wrote my own a while back after considerable experimentation.

1. Open Flickr and get to Photostream
    2. Click the image you want to move
    3. Find "Actions" at the upper left of the image and click "down" arrow for a possible list
    4. Perform "Action" actions as needed
    5 Click the full screen back arrow to return
    6 Click the "Right" arrow at the right top of the image, find "Grab the Link"
    7 Click the "BBcode". Choose the size at the bottom of the code box - typ. medium 640
    8 Highlight the full BB code in the text box
    9 Edit > Copy > to the Mac clipboard and store there temporarily
    10 Finally "Paste into the message space in the Forum reply box
    11 The image message text (full BBcode) string appears in the message box
    12 Add text if so desired
    13 Click "Preview Post" at bottom of "Your Message" screen. Full image with added text will display
    14 Check for accuracy
    15 Click "Submit Reply" to left of "Preview Post"

This is for a Mac but I assume a PC is similar.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Just testing this. Thanks

Barrel Cactus, Tucson, Arizona by Kirigakuresaizoh, on Flickr

Learn osmething new every day, Nathan. I like the image shown with the flickr link. I've been doing it differently but I think I prefer the way you show.

Quick test of my own

Overpass 3 by CKeth, on Flickr