Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens Storage

Just Getting Started

Thumbs up Lens Storage

Hi all, I remember there being a thread recently about lens storage and as I expected there are as many ways to store lenses as there are types of people. Well, I'm the type that goes overboard (some people think anyway) when it comes to storing and caring for my gear. I absolutely love finding better storage systems, rearranging my gear, etc when I'm not out shooting of course. Disclaimer aside, I wanted a safe, relatively dust free way to store my lenses that would also work for when I carry my gear in the back of the car. I had heard of using fishing reel cases and tried a couple but was never really impressed overall. I was surfing Amazon the other day and came across this holder (linked below) and it arrived yesterday. It's amazing in all aspects; quality, design, protection and capacity! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a nice lens storage solution. I'll get a couple of snapshots of mine loaded up later today.

It has an outer "shell" lid that closes via velcro all around the perimeter and there are 2 long, waterproof zipper pouches inside it that are perfect for filters, cable releases, cleaning cloths, extra lens boards, spanner wrenches, etc. After that is open, there is a zipper top that opens to the main compartment. The inside of the zipper lid has a number of pouches that use elastic to bunch them closed. I used them to store my myriad of lens wraps that I use when I want to throw a couple of lenses in a backpack. The main compartment is padded well with one main divider down the middle. The sides and middle divider are very soft and stick to velcro very well. 6 dividers are included and are identical to the dividers that come in traditional camera bags. I needed a couple of extras and the large bag I have left over from Lowepro and Pelican cases worked great. In the end, it's $35 well spend and holds a lot of lenses. I have 3 of Reinhold's meniscus lenses, a 90 f6.8, 150 5.6, 135 5.6, 210 f5.6, a "Galli" meniscus in a copal 1, and a number of brass barrel lenses. I even have a bit of extra room. All the above mentions lenses are on Tech type lens boards. Hopefully this will help someone find what they were looking for!

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-.../dp/B004I8T9CA

Re: Lens Storage

Thanks, this looks very handy!

Just Getting Started

Glad you feel so. After using it for a couple of weeks I don't know how I lived without it. Quality is awesome and I'm very happy with it!

Looks useful! Is it strong or just a soft case? If it's soft it looks like it could fit inside a pelican 1500.

Just Getting Started

It's soft. I'll see how it fits in my Pelican and let you know.

Where's those custom pictures you promised

Just Getting Started

I'll snap some this evening. My wife's car accident and packing to move is killing my free time, what little I had to begin with. I already have the light tent setup so I'll get a few shots tonight for you.

Just Getting Started

Here are some shots as promised:

The case has 2 "lids". The very top lid velcro's to the case tightly but is not dust tight. This top pocket does have 2 dust and water tight zipper pockets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AllenCase5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	85175

Below that lid, the main case is closed via a full zipper.

Name:	AllenCase4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	85174

Unzip the inner lid. On the inside of that lid you have 1 full length, full width zipper pocket for items that aren't too thick. It would be perfect for a note pad and pen, paperwork like reciprocity charts, etc. Attached to that are 3 bungie pockets. You see those here holding three 15" Domke Lens Wraps.

Name:	AllenCase6.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	85173

Just Getting Started

The heart of the case includes one long divider down the middle effectively splitting it in two. You can move it as all of the dividers are traditional velcro dividers like those in almost all adjustable camera cases. It includes 6 more dividers to split it into 8 total pockets. I have some smaller lenses, like the Galli meniscus special and some other oddities, so I needed more dividers. I dug into the ziplock full of dividers and found a number of them that fit. I was able to fit all of my lenses, aside from my Nikon 180 which hasn't been delivered yet, and I have room for it on the bottom right which is currently filled with a 11" Domke Wrap. You can see that all of my lenses are still on the lens boards and I have 3 of Reinhold's lenses at the top. Anyone with one of those knows they are far from compact.

Oh yeah, I hate dust so I put about anything that will fit in anti-static bags.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Bill

Name:	AllenCase1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	85176

Name:	AllenCase2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	85177

Name:	AllenCase3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	85178

Bill, I'm sold Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide these images.
    Yes, we are keeping the zip-lock people in business. I see the Reiny lenses fit nicely too. I own one so far.

Hope your wife is doing well!!
    Thanks again,
    John