Thread: 120/60 to 240/50 and all that.

120/60 to 240/50 and all that.

Help me Techies.

From another thread (thank you Andrej) I understand that my Epson R2400 printer will work on 240/50 with a suitable step down transformer. However, what about my Epson V700 scanner? Moving back to NZ next year and would like to keep both these.

Many thanks.

Re: 120/60 to 240/50 and all that.

By the time the electricity gets into the scanner, it's been rectified and filtered; that is it is DC. Just get the proper power supply.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Great news E. Thank you.

retrogrouchy

EPSON power supplies are of excellent quality but cheap third-party ones from china, not so much. Some are quite dangerous and even a crappy one will cost you $25 because of the crazy epson-proprietary plug, whereas you can buy a 100W or 200W stepdown for the same price and it will be much safer as long as you don't overload it. If you have a known-high-quality 12V (or whatever it is) supply and you're happy to splice the epson plug onto it then that is a good option, I would just not recommend buying an offbrand supply for this purpose.

I run my V600 off a $25 stepdown and the original EPSON USA power supply. Same will work with the V700. I do the same thing with a kitchenaid, a/v receiver and Bowens monolight; each one has a 2kVA stepdown running it that cost me about $60 each. If you have a few 110V items in the one room, they can all run off one larger stepdown via a USA power board. Don't forget to turn it off at night though; the magnetisation current on the larger ones will waste a bit of power.

Make sure the stepdown is rated for 2x the power you expect your load to pull, especially if you're connecting motors or a switching supply that lacks power-factor correction.

Polyglot,
    Glad to hear from someone who has done it. Many thanks.