Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stricter Guildelines Enforcement Now In Effect

Re: Stricter Guildelines Enforcement Now In Effect

Ken, Would this mean that if a potential buyer of a product asked an open question about others' experience with a similar product, and if that answer out of truth was a negative one, that the member giving that solicited answer would be banned? That would seem out of line and of poor service. Note that I am not referring to some smart ass who just wants to get noticed for their negativity, but rather a statement that would be along the lines of a product review.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thank you R.E. for your good point about the For Sale section.

The term "intruding", like some of the other terms ("coarse", "inappropriate", "rude") is open to interpretation.

The moderators do their best to distinguish between constructive suggestions on the one hand, and mean-spirited or meddlesome behavior on the other.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Congratulations. I applaud the decision.
    +1
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Ken, Would this mean that if a potential buyer of a product asked an open question about others' experience with a similar product, and if that answer out of truth was a negative one, that the member giving that solicited answer would be banned? That would seem out of line and of poor service. Note that I am not referring to some smart ass who just wants to get noticed for their negativity, but rather a statement that would be along the lines of a product review.
    The issue is with hijacking a thread.

If you're a potential Buyer, just start another thread about "quality of product X" and see what information you get.

In this way, you are not jeopardising the original Seller's sale, nor are you jeopardising your status in the Forum.

And, perhaps more importantly and more in line with the original intent of the whole Forum, you are increasing the intellectual base of the site.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    What Lachlan said

You're right, and I think we all agree with you.

The smart asses to whom you refer, are easy to spot: they are often bright, well-informed and charming, but they have extreme views and little regard for others.

That's OK, live and let live: until they take up too much of the moderator's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Ken, as another post here pointed out, the LFF has more active members than ever before. Yet I believe there are the same number of moderators as when I first joined in 2004. Is it possible the root cause of all this stress is not so much bad behavior on the part of members as over-work on the part of the mods? After all, if the *rate* of posts needing moderating stays the same, as the forum grows you will nevertheless eventually be overwhelmed with more and more work. Maybe you need one or two more mods?
    You're a mind-reader

Another moderator may be in the wings - but the moderators here are Large Format photographers, not psychiatric nurses.

Most members can tell the difference. Not all, but most.

Those few members with social and cognitive impairment will either learn how to follow the forum's simple guidelines, or find themselves banned - no matter how many moderators we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Ken, as another post here pointed out, the LFF has more active members than ever before. Yet I believe there are the same number of moderators as when I first joined in 2004. Is it possible the root cause of all this stress is not so much bad behavior on the part of members as over-work on the part of the mods? After all, if the *rate* of posts needing moderating stays the same, as the forum grows you will nevertheless eventually be overwhelmed with more and more work. Maybe you need one or two more mods?

--Darin
    I have watched those numbers closely for years. We are actually down a couple hundred regular users from a few years ago .
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    +1

Good.

When I first started posting here I thought the board was unmoderated, by the Wild Wild West toleration of insults and ad hominem attacks. I moderated the board trolls myself, and they have ignored me ever since.

I have since seen the same trolls attack other newbies or those asking questions here. Good that you guys are not tolerating their behavior... Finally.

Ken,

Many thanks for the clarification. There are many things I see on here that I wish I could buy and about many of those, I would want to ask for clarification. I feel very good knowing that I could still get the honest opinions this way.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg