Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: December portraits

Re: December portraits

WOW Accordionist you explained it better than me...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I see, sort if, my problem is I don't at ALL understand my scanner, or rather Silverfast, the images come out almost black, do I use Epson scan program which is always normal so any under or over exposure and the scan looks odd somehow, sort of like it was foggy grey toned.

Someday I'll learn it I guess... I'll remember what you said and look for the functions.
    took me a year or so to understand what was going on ..... move the sliders in the histogram part in the Epson software. It is like using different paper grades when you print silver. Adjusting more light with f stops and then controlling the development..... contrast, dynamic range, Dmax and brightness saturation ect...ect...

This is a link to a workflow for scanning B/W negs. It works very well. http://oomz.net/bw_workflow/

I hope this helps.

Gary

retrogrouchy

Australian Gothic:

Toyo 45A, Fomapan 100, 240/5.6 Symmar-S, Xtol.

Critique always welcome. This one was a spur-of-the-moment thing when my uncle mentioned he had a pitchfork...

December portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sommer View Post
    This is a link to a workflow for scanning B/W negs. It works very well. http://oomz.net/bw_workflow/

I hope this helps.

Gary
    He said JPEG is better than TIFF and scan at 8 bit not 16 to get Better images... this can't be right?

Jpeg is not better than tiff images, but it is more practical.

Different kinds of tiff is more like the RAW that a digital camera makes. It stores more of the color information, even color info not used. Jpeg only stores color information that is used to make the image and discards information that is not used in the actual image information.... thats the short answer. I scan B/W negatives in the 24 bit setting on my scanner. Then i store the image in jpeg no loss file. The jpeg can only be edited a little or it will show gaps where there is no original color information to draw from.

So scan in color for all BW negs. Do not unsaturated when scanning...it defeats the whole purpose. I cheat a little color correct for good BW and desaturate half way to keep most of the color information.

The best way to convert to black and white is to use the Channel Mixer in Photoshop..... When i shoot for pictures i know that will be BW i always shoot in color .. scan in color and use the channel mixer to adjust the grays. Using this procedure allows you use filters after the fact and even create what appears to be IR photography.

When scanning some BW 16bit is always better than 8 bit.... more shades of gray are scanned... why save in jpeg.... saves harddrive space.

before you do any scanning and saving jpegs make sure you have a monitor that is tuned for color and gray scale.... the first thing ... do this or the jpegs you make will not display good colors or the grays you want... short answer stonenyc....

I use most of this method to scan my B/W negatives. I scan in 8bit greyscale, and and convert to 16bit Tiff. in PS. As with most workflows from others, you just have to try it and modify it to your use. I have found this to make scanning much easier. Play around with it, I hope you can pick-up some things that help.

Gary

Gary.... that is not the best way to scan BW.
    click on this link for a really informative video and information on the difference bit depth can make. Gray banding cannot be easily seen on your monitor screen, but i looks ugly on a print.

http://www.theartofretouching.com/bl...it-color-space

Quote Originally Posted by Accordionist View Post
    Why? Because the images are far better Especially in the shadows. Here can you see film response curve - http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/crvFilm.gif
    Now, when you shoot in the ordinary way, the shadows will be in the "toe" (nonlinear) area of the curve. They are still there, but not as rich as you will expect. So, if you will give two more stop in exposure, shadows will go upper in the curve. Clearly all of the tones will go upper, so you must adjust (reduce) the developement. (by the artificial light, where the contrast is offten low I keep normal developement times) The negatives are maybe little bit darker, so you will need to add more light under the enlarger, but this is a reasonable price for the results... Try it. (ideally "by the water edge" in deep forest, i trust you will be amazed) And why to use this procedure by portraiture, when the face is in zone 6 or so? I trust, that it will bring more beautifull skin tones. Ad when the subject has black hair, why do not have very rich detail in every sepatated hair?
    This is not how I work. When you over expose, you move the shadows up the curve, as you say, but I like deep, rich shadows where there ought to be deep, rich shadows. And when you decrease development to compensate for the over exposure, you flatten the curve, compressing the tones in the middle. This doesn't produce better separation in the mid tones, but just the opposite, and the added density has a negative impact on both sharpness and grain. Ideally, I want a negative as thin as possible while retaining adequate shadow detail.

Working with studio lights it's very simple to control lighting ratios, so I almost always expose at box speed and develop normally. When I don't have control of my lighting, I use an incident meter to place my shadows and measure the SBR of the scene, and then develop to accommodate my printing material. Over exposing by two stops and under developing as a matter of course is not what I consider good practice, but if it gives you results you like, that's what matters most.

[IMG] Untitled by Jay DeFehr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Australian Gothic:
    Toyo 45A, Fomapan 100, 240/5.6 Symmar-S, Xtol.

Critique always welcome. This one was a spur-of-the-moment thing when my uncle mentioned he had a pitchfork...
    Interesting take on modern classic

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    He said JPEG is better than TIFF and scan at 8 bit not 16 to get Better images... this can't be right?
    Its not. Not only you decreasing potential amount of information you also loose it to compression in JPEG..
    But i believe it was discussed many times in scanning sub forum?