Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: December portraits

December portraits

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Its not. Not only you decreasing potential amount of information you also loose it to compression in JPEG..
    But i believe it was discussed many times in scanning sub forum?
    My statement was sort of a joke, obviously the guy doesn't know what he's doing, my guess is his scanner interpolates the DPI and he's scanning beyond the means of the scanner so he thinks because he's doing 8 bit the image LOOKS better at 2400 than 4800 because IT DOES because his scanner isn't capable of true 4800dpi.

Re: December portraits

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My statement was sort of a joke, obviously the guy doesn't know what he's doing, my guess is his scanner interpolates the DPI and he's scanning beyond the means of the scanner so he thinks because he's doing 8 bit the image LOOKS better at 2400 than 4800 because IT DOES because his scanner isn't capable of true 4800dpi.
    ooops... Well.. i do get senile , apparently.. today i spent 15 minutes, looking for a film holder, after a shoot, while it was still in camera..

December portraits

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    ooops... Well.. i do get senile , apparently.. today i spent 15 minutes, looking for a film holder, after a shoot, while it was still in camera..
    Haha! I found a roll of 120 in my vest pocket, no label notation, exposed, turned out to be some shoot in NY from weeks ago I had put it there to change rolls instead of back in the bag...why? I don't know...

now now.. i do have unfinished roll of 220 from year and half ago. And some from last summer, that i need to process.. Of course last lab that was doing it locally just closed last week.. so i need to buy 12-/220 reel for jobo now ;((

You may be right, Mike, but I haven't been able to see the difference between scanning in 16 bit greyscale and scanning in 8bit greyscale then converting to 16 bit. In fact, the image in PS seems to smooth out when it is converted. I'll double check next time I scan, but I have been getting good results now.

I have no stake in this method, I only offered it because StoneNYC seemed to be having problems scanning. I think the guy who wrote it scans for the Web, so he uses JPEG. I use Tiff, and would recommend that you do also. There are many ways to the same result in PS, I hope you find a method that works for you.

Gary

Gary... Do you Epson print after scanning? I tried using this workflow..(saving with lossless JPG) but got stepping on my print. both on my Epson 3000 Epson ink.... and then on my friends Epson 4880 printer using Cone mono inks. 8 bit grays only have 256 grays..... really not enough to make a good BW print in most situations. I have tried this a couple of ways and did not get good results on a print. When i change to a sepia tint before printing the stepping got worse.

Jeeze, Mike, you are the only one talking about printing with JPEG. You seem to be putting a lot of effort into distorting this tool. Maybe you have a beef with the author, or me, I don't know. I really don't give a rip. I am through with this conversation.

sure i did not mean to offend.... just trying to help.... i have been doing scanning and printing for over 10 years.... thought i could help ....please forgive me for offending you....

I know it is late. December past half a year ago. BUT!
    This was taken in December and waited till now to be shown the world, as I was developing my gear for DSLR Scanning.
    Let me introduce, my very first picture taken with LF.
    Cambo SC + Fujinon W 210/5.6
    Kodak 320TXP developed in Caffenol C-M
    Kids self-made
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chlopcy_990.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	96377