Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 sheet packs of Velvia in Australia?

50 sheet packs of Velvia in Australia?

Do any Aussies know of a local retail outlet that stocks the 50 sheet packs of Veliva 5x4? I'm getting sick of paying $60 for 10 sheets at a time.

Graeme

That is a real pain. I went looking for a supplier for you online cuz I like to be helpful and I am bored but I got shutout. All I could find was 10 sheet packs and 20 sheet readyloads. If you get desparate you can see if Calumet with ship to you. I think the closest one is in Germany. They sell the 50 sheet box for ~$100 US. If the shipping us under $50 it would be worth while. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Graeme,

Do you think it's perhaps the old Austria/Australia mix-up?

I suggest the local distributor is only doing the 25 sheet packs. I get my film in quantity from B&H, Badger or the View Camera Store. Greater range and much, much cheaper. Particularly with the current exchange rates being so favourable with the $US.

Hi Walter,

Nah, everyone knows Aussies don't buy film from Germany. Do you reckon Austrians get asked about the kangaroos jumping down their streets?

When you get film from the USA, do you ever have problems with the film being fogged by security machines? This is what has discouraged me from ordering film from OS before.

Cheers,

Hi Graeme,

I live in Melbourne and none of the usual suspects stock them(Vanbar,Camera Exchange etc) as standard stock. I know that Vanbar would order it in if requested. I bought mine through B&H and got it shipped thru courier. If you are concerned about it being x-rayed I have used about half of the box(Provia 100) and I can detect no ill effects. I have also picked up some film through ebay Australia.(http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3805062040&category=4200) Large format film in Australia is somewhat a disgrace with regards to stock and prices. I guess it must impossible in WA.

Lihsia

Hi Lihsia,

There is a store in Perth that usually stocks the Fuji films I favour (Perth Pro Sales), but they are not terribly cheap, and of course they don't stock the 50 sheet boxes. I can get overnight delivery from them when I'm in dire need. Vanbar fills most of my orders. Maybe we should all write to Vanbar to let them know there is a demand for these 50 sheet packs.

Kalgoorlie has no retail outlet for any Fuji films and no-one has sheet film of any description (I think I'm the only LF photographer inside a 600km radius!). It's all internet and phone orders.

Cheers,

Hmm...ordering 20 sheet quickloads from B & H is still cheaper than normal sheet film over here (About $5.50 all in for the quickloads from B & H, $6 each for the normal sheet film from Vanbar). B & H with shipping on 50 packs will be WAY cheaper than local prices...

Definitely worth it and X-rays are a non-issue in my experience.

You might want to try ordering a ten pack from the US just to ease your mind about film fogging. Once you know for sure you can order in bulk.

Graeme, Adelaide's leading professional dealer no longer stocks any LF film. Sign of the times. They get it in for me at a few days notice. I pay about $A53 per 10 pack of Velvia 100. The last time I asked for a 50 pack they were sent 5 by $10 packs ( by the importers) I purchase most of my film from B and H and have it shipped by Fedex. It arrives in about 5 days and I have never had any issues quality etc.It the film costs $87 (US) for a 50 pack of Velvia 50 or Provira ,and $97 (US) for the Velvia 100 ISO. In other words, converted to $A - about half price. Fedex can be expensive, but they seem to be very efficient. I generally buy 4 boxes of 50 at a time and I make significant savings. If you want any more details Email me.

John Quinn

Graeme,

No one stocks it over here either (Sydney way) - 50 sheet boxes.

I am the same as John, except I order mine from Badger. I usually order a heap at at time. I have found that buying quickloads from them cheaper than buying the 10 sheet boxes here (which has formed a nasty habit - they are addictive!). I get it in 5 days pay USD$70 for shipping and have never had a problem with foging or xrays. Jeff tells me he ships to Australia all the time without any problems. (though you do have to pay import duties). Had good results with Fed Ex, not so good with UPS.

Will be putting in another order soon (towards the end of the month)- I usually get a few people together so that the shipping is split. If you are interested please contact me directly.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal