Thread: speed graphic rangefinder focus tube spilled out lots of little balls - what / how?

speed graphic rangefinder focus tube spilled out lots of little balls - what / how?

Hi All,
    I was changing lenses on my speed graphic and realized there was a little cam on the back of the lens board. Hmmm this should be easy, I say. I was able to take out the other cam quite easily, but when I tried to put in the new one the pushrod by the bed popped out and lots of little balls spilled out. What the heck? I had this on a big table and don't think I lost any but what's the best way to get this back and what did I do wrong so I don't do it again?

Thanks,
    Eric

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: speed graphic rangefinder focus tube spilled out lots of little balls - what / h

Which model are you talking about, SuperGraphic?

Re: speed graphic rangefinder focus tube spilled out lots of little balls - what / h

The little balls are used to transfer the mechanical motion of the rail going in and out through two 90 degree bends to the rangefinder cam which in turn pushes on the rangefinder mechanism. It is a very fiddly business but you can remove the tube that the balls sit in and repack them. It sounds like the tube has split or the pin that holds the steel tongue in place at the bottom has broken and that has all come adrift. I don't recall whether the tubes are the same for the Speed/Crown Graphics and the Super Graphic but it may be easier to look for a replacement on eBay and swap that in than repair it.

I think the cap that the holds the pusher bar on just popped off. Maybe I tried to put the cam in pushing the wrong direction? Never did it before. I'll try to put all the balls back in place.
    Rangefinder was working fine up until then.

Well, I sat down with a glass of wine and slowly put all the balls and cylinders alternating back into the tube with a pair of tweezers and snapped the pushrod and cap down onto the tube. I am am sort of amazed but it all worked! I now know that when I got to change the cam, I need to push the cam towards the spring and not the other way! Hard to see in there! Hope anyone thinking of changing cams finds this and doesn't repeat my mistake! All good now, thankfully!