Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imacon Scan Problem

Re: Imacon Scan Problem

I'll give Chris a call tomorrow. I have a Ratoc adapter that I purchased—when I bought the scanner it didn't have one. It never occurred to me that it might be a Firewire issue?

I'll be sure to report back about after—I hope—some resolution of this most aggravating problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
    Richard,

I'm hoping that Chris is still there. He is a young guy who is savvy with the Ratoc and the various OS out there in either Windows or Apple.

As long as you have a Ratoc FRS1X Firewire adapter it would allow you to move in the Firewire Connection.

Since you have a Precision III, I' guessing that you have a Firewire adapter that was bundled with the Original Hasselblad OEM Upgrade?

If that is the case, you might have to ask Hasselblad if that adapter has any Firmware Upgrade required.

Get the individual's name next time you spoke with them directly. Too bad you don't live in NJ, as a Face-to-Face meeting tends to "warm-up" the overall tone of the uninterested individual you dealt with.

I will be interested in hearing the outcome of your issue. Once you speak with Chris, I hope that he will resolve your issues. He is a fantastic guy to speak with.

Evan

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I'll give Chris a call tomorrow. I have a Ratoc adapter that I purchased—when I bought the scanner it didn't have one. It never occurred to me that it might be a Firewire issue?

I'll be sure to report back about after—I hope—some resolution of this most aggravating problem.
    Hi Richard,

Sorry, I should had read what you wrote more carefully! I saw the Precision III designation, so I assume that you had the bundled Firewire adapter that was sold with the upgrade kit for Precision II to Precision III. Naturally I assumed that it was a true Precision II that was upgraded by Imacon / Hasselblad.
    That Precision III upgrade used a different branded adapter than that of the Ratoc, thus might be the source of the problem, but not likely.

Nowadays, per what Chris Moore told me, was if you have a Precision II scanner and you used a Ratoc FRS1X to make the Firewire connection, you essentially have a Precision III. If you are "rolling" back the Firewire to the older release (not sure, as I'm not in front of my scanner - 123??), You should be able to scan.

Since you stated you were scanning and getting those black lines, there is strong possibility that the bulb could be bad or the sleeve is not optimized to allow for the bulb to reveal itself for scanning purposes. It might be something simply like that. Are you aware that there is an ImaconUsers Group on Yahoo Forum? Majority of your questions could be answered there by the knowledgeable folks there.

Otherwise, Chris is a pleasure to speak with and he will walk you through the settings and answer whatever technical questions you may have.

Evan

The problem was operator error—usually is isn't it?

As I was waiting in vain for someone from Hasselblad to return my several calls pleading for help, I searched the yahoo Imacon Group (thanks Evan!) and discovered what I was doing wrong. I was using the default setting for unsharp masking which is very high. It needs to be set at -120, if you simply turn it off, it evidently is still at 100 or so. I have rescanned a couple of my previously problematic negatives and there is no sign of the problem I was having.

I have to say that my experience with Hasselblad USA customer service has been abysmal. I would only consider using them again if I absolutely had no other options.

Richard Wasserman

Hi Richard,

I'm a bit surprise to hear that your call went unanswered by Hasselblad USA. Your incident, I'm hoping is simply one that slipped through the crack, as my encounter (usually in person) has always been one of Friendliness and solid advice.

Next time ask for John Connelley, who is the Service Manager for Hasselblad USA. Another way to get a response, would be to e-mail them at Support@Hasselbladusa.com. They will eventually get back to you. That was how I corresponded with Chris by e-mail before stepping into the Service Dept to meet him face-to-face.

The Imacon Yahoo Group is fantastic and you are guarantee to get an answer within several hours. The support level is great, so it would help to back it up in the event you have any future issues or questions.

Glad to hear that you are back on track to using one of the few remaining medium format scanner supported by a manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    The problem was operator error—usually is isn't it?

As I was waiting in vain for someone from Hasselblad to return my several calls pleading for help, I searched the yahoo Imacon Group (thanks Evan!) and discovered what I was doing wrong. I was using the default setting for unsharp masking which is very high. It needs to be set at -120, if you simply turn it off, it evidently is still at 100 or so. I have rescanned a couple of my previously problematic negatives and there is no sign of the problem I was having.

I have to say that my experience with Hasselblad USA customer service has been abysmal. I would only consider using them again if I absolutely had no other options.

Unhappy Re: Imacon Scan Problem

If you go to the Yahoo group you may see my posts. Service on Imacon scanners (we have an X5 AND a service contract(!)) by Hasselblad, for us (YRMV), has been less than optimal.

cvt

Quote Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
    Hi Richard,

I'm a bit surprise to hear that your call went unanswered by Hasselblad USA. Your incident, I'm hoping is simply one that slipped through the crack, as my encounter (usually in person) has always been one of Friendliness and solid advice.

Next time ask for John Connelley, who is the Service Manager for Hasselblad USA. Another way to get a response, would be to e-mail them at Support@Hasselbladusa.com. They will eventually get back to you. That was how I corresponded with Chris by e-mail before stepping into the Service Dept to meet him face-to-face.

The Imacon Yahoo Group is fantastic and you are guarantee to get an answer within several hours. The support level is great, so it would help to back it up in the event you have any future issues or questions.

Glad to hear that you are back on track to using one of the few remaining medium format scanner supported by a manufacturer.

That was certainly my experience also—repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    If you go to the Yahoo group you may see my posts. Service on Imacon scanners (we have an X5 AND a service contract(!)) by Hasselblad, for us (YRMV), has been less than optimal.

cvt

Richard Wasserman

Matt G

I happen to know that the offices of Hasselblad USA in New Jersey just moved to a new location. Their phone service has been lacking because of the move. Things seem to have settled a bit now and they are back to their usual prompt and helpful service.

So Hasselblsd moved again. The previous location was on New Road in Parsippany, NJ. I see that the new information for them is:

Hasselblad Bron Inc | 1080A Garden State Road, Union,NJ 07083 | 1-800-367-6434

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoToyo View Post
    I happen to know that the offices of Hasselblad USA in New Jersey just moved to a new location. Their phone service has been lacking because of the move. Things seem to have settled a bit now and they are back to their usual prompt and helpful service.

Our X5 came back.

I was told the $1k repair was paid.

A careful look at the case did not find any damage and/or repair. (Hasselblad Service claimed it was damaged in shipping.)

cvt