Although this is not specific to LF, I do want to be able to scan my future negs and trannies from 4x5. So my question relates to the digital LF darkroom.

It's time to upgrade my AGFA Arcus 1200 as I'm tired of the slowness, intermittent recognition problems from my Mac G4 OSX.6 Jaguar via the scuzzi connect, and it's a "dinosauer" (sp?) at three years old.

I'm looking at two: Obviously the new Epson 4870, (as some have already commented on) and a Microtek Artixscan 1800f. Why that one? Well, it purports a DMAX of 4.8, (my pre-press guy at my commercial offset printer uses one and use to operate a Tango DS). However, is the dpi a drawback? It lists a 3,600 x 1,800 dpi, (which my simple math from my simple mind) interprets this to mean if my target dpi is 300, then the largest optimized scan I can do is 6" x 12".

Whereby the Epson (DMAX - 3.8) lists a dpi of 4800 x 9600, which would enable (same specs) a scan of 16 x 32.

1) Am I calculating wrong? 2) And what, IYMVO, is more critical if you want to scan to a decent 11 x 14, maybe a bit larger? 3) Is there another unit that has both high dpi and DMAX? (Flatbed type only)

I certainly don't expect a drum scan quality, and I know many here have listed the 3200 and even 2450 Epsons as their current scanners. There is a price difference of $400 between the two, with the Epson being less, but is not a large factor. I would use it for my business as well.

Thanks to all.